56,247 unique designs online
3,190 design sets/packs

Download them all with a VIP membership
Get them all on DVDs

Register/Login/Logout

Summer Sale! All summer design sets are $2.00 each!
Half Price VIP Memberships Excluding Life Time memberships. Use coupon code: HALF
Sold out: 20 Lifetime VIP Membership coupons for $40 off!

Back to Top Articles | Project of the Week | Instructions | News | Tips | Peoples Projects
Search our reading room for:

Confessions Of a Fabric-Aholic

by Debbie Vechter

Yes, I admit it. I am a fabric-aholic. I love fabric and I’m so
attracted by the colors, the patterns, the feel of the fabrics and
more, I swear that every time I pass a bolt of fabric I can almost
hear it calling to me.

To make matters even worse, the variety of fabrics available for
purchase online seem endless.  Everything you could possibly imagine
is available in every imaginable color, texture and pattern.  In a
matter of a few hours (yes, I say hours, because I spend hours
lovingly examining all the online swatches) I can literally look at
hundreds of fabric swatches at any given time and never get bored.

Did you know that oftentimes just by clicking on the swatch shown on
the monitor screen that you can get a nice big sample of fabric to
look at? How wonderful is that? And how difficult is it to resist
purchasing everything?  Naturally, for those of us who do purchase
online, we have our favorite websites, but how come I have to have so
darned many favorite fabric websites? And they all seem to have sales!
Seriously, what fabric-aholic could pass up such unbelievable savings
that you get at such sales? HELPPPPP! My disposable income is being
disposed of very rapidly!

In a previous article, I mentioned how I had turned my daughters
bedroom (after she moved out of course) into my sewing studio.  The
wonderful large walk-in closet which seemed so spacious when I first
moved into the room soon began to shrink.  I don’t know what happened
to all the room in the closet!  Now the shelves are full ~ yes, even
groaning under the weight of the fabrics ~ silks, cottons, tapestries,
twill, charmeuse, draperies ~ you name it!  Not to mention notions,
hoops, stabilizers and more.

I also have see-through plastic storage ‘towers’ filled with all types
of threads!  Cottons, polyesters, rayons.  The array of thread colors
is vast and just looking at all the fabulous threads and thread colors
makes me feel happy.  I’m sure that every fabric-aholic is also a
thread-aholic (a.k.a.: cross-over addiction) I know I am. After all,
isn’t it true that we NEED thread to go with all our wonderful
fabrics? Of course it is! And to preserve the integrity of the thread
we NEED the storage bins – right? Again, yes!

My point? That you are not alone. You are in good company as a matter
of fact.

Well, I guess it’s time for me to go and spend time in the closet: to
admire, touch, smell the fabric and dream up more projects.  The
creative juices begin stirring.  Finally, when the decision is made, I
begin my next creative project.  This is extreme fun! I admit it!
Guilty as charged! I am a fabric-aholic, but I’ll bet that if you’re
reading this, you’re one too!  Care to join me? ;0)

56 Responses to Confessions Of a Fabric-Aholic

1. heidi kilgore says:

I love this article, most of us are in the closet when it comes to our weakness for fabric. Another good source of fabric is E-bay been buying from there lately. They have some wonderful sellers, and just as wonderful fabrics. I’ve been buying the 5 inch squares for my applique, that way I don’t have to get up and hunt and cut, and this and that.

Also bought the 2 1/2 strips for my crazy quilts, (ie) my sister saying I’m getting lazy if I won’t cut my own strips, but I just can’t resist the jelly rolls.

Again Love the article.

Heidi

2. Julianne G says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who hords fabric. I can’t seem to NOT hit the fabric stores when we finally get to a city where there is a variety, we live about 3 hours from any good store besides walmart, which leaves alot to be desired. So I usually do a good job of it when I do.
    I also order online, ALOT, and ebay. I finally had to get an air purifier for my sewing room, there was so much lint, and I have alergies, but that will never stop me. LOL. And a thread-aholic as well, boxes of it everywhere. But I do have the colors I need when I’m doing a project.
    Happy stitching.

3. Jac says:

I can really relate to your addiction. Two years ago I didn’t own one piece of fabric. Then I discovered quilting. I had been resisting it until I found some designs I wanted to put on a blanket for my grandson so then I had to learn how to quilt thus buy fabric. I redid the closet with shelves from floor to ceiling and am out of room already. It is full of fabric. Even moved out all my grandsons toys from it. I own a Smart car with a GPS system in and and have been going to yard sales looking for fabric. Just plug in the address and GO! Just call me addicted. Jac

4. Mary Catoir says:

It does not take long to let anything take over you but when you enjoy yourself you are healthier, my cholesterol refused to go down ( sitting at the computer and sewing sorry to say , been to two set of dog shows and wal la… my cholesterol numbers are down again. I told the doctor pills don’t work but how can one stay happy all the time, see now I have transfer over to fabric, fabric is easy I absolutely love the colors, all colors…but I don’t sew fast enough. Help. I too am a fabric aholic but what do I do about my cholesterol numbers. I find that embroidery and having to cut the thread often seems to me my only helper, up and down I go maybe that will count as exercise over time, now all I need is a second embroidery machine. Love the article. Mary Catoir

5. GINA says:

Fabra-holic. Yes! I have 18 totes of varying sizes that the lids want lock down on because they are so full. And I have an entire basement full of “STUFF”. Fabric by the bolt and by the piece. Every scrap bigger than a sliver is tucked away for later. Batting, patterns (from the 60’s), buttons, beads, belting, rulers of every shape and size. “STUFF” everywhere. In the attic, in the spare bedroom, at my son’s house. It is an addiction. And yes, it is a part of who we are as sewers, quilters, crafters. If its cheap, buy it. If its free, what out, we will mow you do to get it. I have been know to clean out the waste baskets after a sewing class to get some good scraps someone else didn’t want. I NEED HELP!! I keep trying to sort it all out but I just make a bigger mess than before. Does any of this sound familiar. At 60 years old, I have had a lot of time to prefect my gathering skills. If you know of a young new sewer in need of fabric, etc. to get started, let me know so I can box up some of this “STUFF”and share it.

Thanks for listening.
    Gina

6. Carolyn says:

I love your article. I actually call myself a ‘material” girl. [pun on words]. I guess you are one also.

7. Rosie Vivian says:

Hi fabric -a-holic

I’m being treated by my husband for my addiction. I’m not allowed to buy anymore fabric until ou new houseis built. Considering we haven’t sold the old one yetI am finding it really hard. Iam sur yu are right the fabric makers program their fabrics to call to you, they eve kno your name. However what it has done is made me use quite a few of those fabrics that I have hoarded over the last 28 years.

8. BB says:

I believe we need to start a Fabric Aholic / Craft Aholic support group and get some serious counselling!
    Just remember to include me

9. Ann in KY says:

I recently diagnosed myself as a fabra-holic. It came to me, rather suddenly, as I found myself walking from bolt to bolt FEELING the fabric. Also, another way to tell, is when you take few hours to organize your fabric. If the hours turn into days, you might be a fabra-holic. One more way to tell—when you go on a trip and everyone is excited about finding a new restaurant and you are just scanning the store fronts looking for a source of new fabric. Collecting fabric is an addiction. I don’t want to admit it, but it is.
    Now, it is time to go admire my collection and decide on what to sew next. 🙂

10. Carolyn says:

Being with people who understand you………Priceless!

11. nuts4batiks says:

I have an impressive collection also but don’t like to cut it because I may need it for something else. My sil thought I was deranged and jokingly asked if there were any other hobbies where people don’t use the things they collect. Yes, people who collect coins, stamps, or exercise equipment.

12. Fairlee says:

Loved the article. My only response is a big AMEN!

13. Mary says:

My friends call me a collector. I have so much fabric that our storage room holds all my fabric in plastic storage bins and on bolts. My husband has threatened to take his tractor with the bucket on it and go through it. Why would he want to do that? I just keep buying more. The problem is that it has no rhyme or reason to how it is put in the containers (I say that is my next project to straighten it up) that when I finally do decide to sew I have to buy more because I don’t have the time to find what I need. My friend even would not let me buy more then she moved about four years ago and now she is not here to stop me!

14. Elizabeth says:

If I didn’t know better I would have thought you were looking in my sewing room and talking about me. I have so much fabric I had to move some if down to basement so I could make more room under the bed for the new pieces I buy. It had gotten so bad I have to go out of my way home so I do not pass any store that has any kind of fabric in it. Is there some kind of addition group for this problem, fi so I will be the first one there.

15. Maureen Mahaney says:

I guess my e-mail name could not be more appropriate. My basement is so full of material and sewing machines. Because I work as an alterationist I have at 3 surgers, leather machine, coversitch machine, blind stich machine, felting machine, 3 “normal” Janome sewing machines, and 2 embroidery machines.

I use to work at a fabric store so whenever there was a great sale I ” just had to buy” whatever was on sale. I have shelfs of bolts of fleece in solids and prints. I have clear boxes of all my cotton fabric. Arranged according to holidays, baby, themes etc. more boxes have all my fannels. And the list goes on and on.
    Then we all have to have trim, ribbons, elastic, seam binding, velcro, zippers, needles, pins and so on.
    Next comes the shelfs with books,patterns, interfacing,embroidery stabilizers.
    Finally all the thread–Regular sewing thread, upholstery thread,jean thread, silk thread, and last but not least the embroidery thread in rayon and polyester.All of the above in clear plastic containers according to color and numbers.
    I also knit–so there are clear boxes of wool yarn and polyester yarn. boxes of patterns and containers of long needles, short needles, circular needles, and double pointed needles, stich holders,etc.
    I could really live in my basement! I have a bathroom and refridgerator.What more do I need? HEAT HEAT HEAT it is freezing down there.!!!
    It’s a basement!!!
    I live in Lockport NY It is freezing here in the winter.I can’t tell if it’s morning or night in my basement in the winter because the snow covers all of the little windows.
    However, I am not going to complain. It is all mine!!!!
    If I have to have an addiction to something I’m glad it’s sewing. It doesn’t hurt me; at least physically. Financally is a different story.

16. Gigi says:

I had to lol…I have so much fabric I’ve caught myself buying duplicates! By the way, what are these plastic towers you mentioned for storing thread? I seriously need something like this sounds.

17. Jacqualin says:

Yes it is an addiction but OH WHAT FUN. It’s even better to know that I am not alone. Although, I already knew I had a few friends that are also addicted.

18. Alva says:

I’m with you girls. I have a room full and just have to find time to sew it all up, dreamer. We also live a long way from good fabric stores but when I get to them, ohhhhh, what fun! Don’t feel bad about touching fabric, even the fingers love the colors and textures. Enjoy!

19. bethann says:

I also belong to the sisterhood of the sewing addicted. I not only am addicted to fabric but also to sewing machines needles threads,knitting crochate hand and machine embroidery thread and yarn,patterns,books anything that involves the sewing crafts.I have taken this to a whole new level.I use this addiction to relieve stress and other unhealthy conditions from my life. I am not however trying to find the cure.I am trying to create more space to store my my stuff

20. Denise says:

I too am a fabra-holic. I just went through my stash and found material that I bought when my kids were small. I just can not “cut” the fabric unless I have the perfect project! I have all the fabric stores loaded on GPS in my car – just in case I have nothing else to do…………

21. Carolyn says:

To Gina (comment #5):

If you are serious about sharing, my daughters (tween/teen) would love some things to learn on 🙂
    They sew a little bit and we are currently helping with a “prayers and squares” ministry at our church where fabric is always needed and put to good use. What is the bestway to contact you?

22. matistsat says:

Hi, Debbie, I’m happy to see that I’m not the only one in this world of tears to be material alcoolic, thread alc …as well and do not mention all the books/magazines complete or paper cutties … In fact we do need all this to feed our creativity I always say to my DH who answers Yes may be, but I do not see the results …. Yes, I have a whole cupboard full with all I need to sew several quilts, embroider a lot and I dare say that I need extra ….

I’m happy to belong with all my heart to this club.

Bonsoir …. bed time in France

Martine

23. MrsD says:

My basement has been taken over, also. I have found much nice fabric at thrift stores and sometimes it is very inexpensive. Often I satisfy my fabric cravings by window shopping online, and not buying anything. My husband says “It makes you happy” so it does not bother him, but we have separate checking accounts so he does not know how much I spend.

24. Vicky in WA says:

I am so you! Now please give me a fool-proof excuse for my DH. He doesn’t understand that I need different patterns/designs, fabric, thread, stabilizer, etc. for each thing (sewing, quilting, ME) and every time he catches me on a site he gives me one of those big put-upon sighs. And since he picks up the mail at our PO Box I can’t very well hide . I have a room even bigger than your closet and now he has made me promise to use my stash only. I think I have dragon blood. Use my stash??? Then I couldn’t wallow in it!!!

25. daja says:

“Hi, I’m daja and I’m a fabra-holic –” Wait – why am I at his meeting? Gotta go — there’s this thrift store up the block…..
    I once saw a grand list of reasons to “buy that fabric”; can’t remember them all, but here are a few:
    1. The weight of all that fabric in the car trunk could save your life in an icy skid.
    2. Piles of fabric keeps dust off the surfaces of tabletops, counters, shelves, etc.
    3. Helps stabilize the house in case of earthquake.
    4. Insulates the house, saving money on heating.
    5. Do it now; one day your husband will retire and go shopping with you.

Enjoy those stashes! Fabric is wealth!

26. N Edwards says:

Hello I wish I could afford to be a Fabri-holic. In the small town I live in we don’t have anywhere to buy anything extra. Besides I can’t afford to get anything extra. So I am so happy for all you ladies that have so much extra “STUFF”!!!!! It really relaxes my mind to go to my sewing room. Maybe all you ladies that have 2 of the same would share……………. just in case you have more than you need my address is 144 County Rd 3452, Haleyville, Alabama 35565!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just joking, I wish each one of you all the same joy with all your “STUFF” I am glad God Blesses you ladies with so much!!Pray some day he will see that I need some to rest with when I get to heaven. Enjoy your “STUFF” and remember its better to be a fabric-aholic than drugs or alcohol, fabric-aholic doesn’t hurt our bodies!!!!!!! May God Bless Each FABRIC-AHOLIC in the world!!!! Love the article.

27. Susan says:

Is this a problem? I went thru all of my fabrics a month or so ago snd bagged up a large garbage bag of fabrics I was sure I would never use (and questioned myself as to why I bought them in the first place). I had every intention of donating them to a group of ladies who are sewing for various charities. What a noble cause, so why are they still here in my sewing room? Why have I torn into the bag to look thru them again? Is it possible to go to a rehab place for a month or so, with my fabrics, to just sew? (or is that heaven). Maybe I will have a fabric trade party, I will still have the same amount but the fabrics will be new and won’t have cost me anything!! Oh I do love my addiction!

28. Maureen Vella says:

I feel empathy for all fabric and threadaholics, but I am also a scissor-aholic. I believe there is a correct pair of scissors for every task and …….. I JUST HAVE TO HAVE ‘EM.

29. CostumeMom says:

I’m glad to see I am not alone. Once during a class to learn about my new embroidery machine, the instructor said that she was glad we were all there…sewing for stress relief is cheaper than Psychotherapy! 🙂 I too am addicted to fabrics, all textures, all colors. Enjoy every one—it’s sanity.

30. betsy says:

I think ALL of you ladies- myself included- are perfectly NORMAL! It is the rest of the worlld that is wrong!! LOL! Fabric makes great insulation, and provides extra cushion under couch cushions an mattresses. I am looking for some new storage ideas, because I know i will not stop collecting fabric!

31. Vivienne says:

So! It looks as if there are many many gals with the same disease, no pills for this one, I live in a mobile home and have no attic or basement and I’m afraid I have filled my sewing room, and the spare bedroom, and of course under my bed, so I am trying hard not to buy any more fabric, (at least for a few days anyway.) It’s amazing! that even with all the fabric I have, when I start to pull fabric together to make another quilt I am always short at least one other colour. So off I go again.

32. Elizabeth says:

Were you describing me when you wrote this????? Love knowing that there are so many of us out there that love FABRIC and cannot walk past a fabric shop without going in.

33. LouLou says:

OK !! I’ve found my Tribe. Even though we may not even be on the same continent, we have the same genes. It is the conservation gene.

For many many years we have been accused of being consumed with the pac-rat virus. I prefer to refer to myself as the Domestic Engineer in charge of Eco-friendly Resource Conservation. I am not in need of therapy as much as the emotional support of others like myself.

It is true that we must use some of our stash, from time to time. If you have pre-washed any of your goodies, they must get used up sometime in the next 10 years,(if not sooner). You’ve washed out the chemicals that help preserve fabrics for a longer shelf-life and deter insects from munching on ’em. I know this because I used to work for a chemical company that manufactures the above mentioned concoctions.

Betsy, I have an idea for storage of fabrics. Make some pillow shams out of some of it. Remove all the blankets from the linen closet and stuff ’em into the pillow shams. Place the stuffed shams on everybodys’ beds – decoratively, of course. Now, you have some more shelf space for the fabrics. *he he he*

34. Robyn says:

So pleased to know that there are many others around like me. I have had to move several times and each time go through the boxes and get rid of small pieces which broke my heart, but my worst was when I remarried a couple of years ago. I had my fabric in 25 plastic crates in the spare bedroom but was moving to a hot climate so had to get rid of all my winter material as well as most of other “stuff” that I had accumulated over the years.
    My husband was going through it with me and putting out what he didn’t like. He picked up a length (4 Yards) of green and white houndstooth check polished cotton (anyone remember that)and said that it had to go. I commented that I loved the piece but had never gotten around to making it up, so he asked how long I had had it for.
    When I told him that I had bought it when I was 17 (I am now 64) he didn’t have the heart to throw it out. He told me that I couldn’t buy anymore until I had used up what I already had. I was left with 15 crates of fabric but now have moved to an area where it gets cold in winter so have the excuse to repurchase winter fabrics and since we don’t have any fabric shops around I will have to buy online, I am drooling already.

35. Christine says:

I am with everyone, Fabric everwhere. But what I need, don’t have, and have to go, buy more. I live 50 miles, from where, I take classes at sometimes. All kinds of fabric stores there. I always come home with more Fabric. Use to just get a yard of something I like, Then when making a quilt, it calls for more so now I am usually getting 2 or 3 yards. Getting very expensive. But I enjoy it, so want the heck, as long as I can I guess I will keep on buying and doing classes. I like to take quilt classes and purse classes. They offer other classes also. Trying to get me to come to them. I said no more just quilts and purses will do. Have fun collecting everyone. I am like everyone JUST need more room to store it.

36. Donna says:

This is mainly for “material girl” Carolyn (comment #6), but it would apply to everyone here, but first I want to make sure that I don’t offend anyone. I saw a cute design for a “I’m a Material Girl” on another website. Would it be ok to post the link here?

[moderator’s note: Yes, it is OK.
    rob
    Moderator]

37. LouLou says:

I am serious. I am looking for anyone who would like to share some of my fabric. I especially would like to find the lady with the 2 daughters who are sewing for the “prayers and squares”. Carolyn, where are you? And N.Edwards, write on my wall and let me know what you might be interested in. “LouAnne” on the account and “LouLou” in the new chat. My icon is the face of my little white dog. Check out the pictures and you will see what I mean. Hubby got this batch of fabrics for me. He thinks big.

Most of the fabrics on the tall rolls is cotton, I think. And some is twill, linen,knit, and light shirt weight the shorter rolls are tiny green/white check and woven blue/green check

38. Sue Chapman says:

THESE ARE TRUE STORIES.

The cute kid that is a assistant manager of my local embroidery machine store was carrying a new e-machine out to a lady’s car — along with about $500 is new fabric — and when he opened the trunk of her car he saw that it was filled with empty Cheerios boxes. He commented that she must really like Cheerios; but she said she really doesn’t like Cheerios all that much, but that the boxes are a good way to get her “fabric stash” into the house!

Another lady just bought the TOL Brother — and she has about eight emachines. I commented that she is lucky to be able to get it, I would if I had the money. She told me that her DH had just bought a new BOAT, and that she’s got a lot of spending to do to catch up with that purchase!

Any excuse will do!

Sue

39. Brenda Taylor says:

Yup, I’m with you, girls…..ridiculous stash of fabric, notions, patterns…BUT…this past Christmas hubby had been out of work for 3 months and the funds were scarce, I delved into my stash and everyone got newly stitched and embroidered items, all 20 of them! I barely had to buy anything!
    Also, I am lucky to have a great job; stitcher for professional theatre. Our designers purchase beautiful fabrics from NY, Chicago, California, etc.and ship them to us for the costumes we then build–silks at my fingertips and they pay me, too! I LOVE it!

40. Lupe says:

OMG this is so funny! Yet so true, can’t go into any new areas, or on vacation without looking for fabric stores. Always looking for some “new ” place. Went to a “new”place 400 miles away on vacation, small so didn’t have too much yet but still walked out with some marked down quarters and a few yards of some wierd silver fabric ( just had to walk out with something! ) oh and she had a box full of scraps, bought a quart size zip lock bag for only a quarter-a lot actually fit in in to it.Real nice and unsual fabric scraps. While I was reading all this and LOL hubby walked in and when I told him what this was about, of course he didn’t think it was funny, when I told him others had more fabric than me she said ya but I’m talking about you-tried to tell me one can never have enough fabric but they just don’t understand-doesn’t help that I work only a few blocks away from one of the biggest fabric districts in Los Angeles. Blocks after blocks of beautiful colorful fabrics, all textures, colors, etc.-and the prices are unreal!!I think I need to go shopping!! Who cares about lunch??? I know where MY priorities lie! Take care and keep on shopping!!!

41. katrina says:

I have a room full of fabric that I have lots of ideas for. This last year I made the goal to use up some of it. I made 3 queen size quilt tops and about 12 smaller quilts and only used up about 1/8th of a shelf. I only bought a few pieces of fabric during the year. (Maybe I would have 1/4th of a shelf empty) I finished several started projects. All 4 of my children got a quilt for Christmas. I now have 1 empty bin, too.
    It is so hard to resist new fabrics. The best way is to stay out of the stores. Although while visiting my mom last week I found a new quilting store near her. I didn’t leave empty handed.
    Fortunately, my husband doesn’t seem to mind. He has a corner of my sewingroom for his computer. (Which is getting smaller)
    I knew a lady who said all that fabric was her hedge against recession.

42. floy says:

so funny to read the posts. I also am an avid fabri-holic, unashamaedly admitted years ago. But when I started telling people I have to go to “fondle” the fabric they really thought I was nuts!!!! haha But don’t you all find yourselves wandereing thru the stores trailing your fingers over the bolts and you really ‘neeeed’ to love the texture as much as the color before you buy.
    Almost worse is…. we live in our travel trailer
    so my stash really is a hoot. I try not to buy fabrics unless there is a real need? If I just must have a piece I try to keep it to a fat quarter. Unless!!! of course it is on sale!
    But I do allow myself to purchase at the thrift store, I feel surely I must be contributing to a good cause……………….I’m just not sure if it’s mine or someone else’s hahahahahah

KEEP ON SEWING

43. Bluebird says:

I couldn’t remember sending all those comments about being a fabriholic – then I saw all those other names. Ha I love fabric but don’t really have that much. My husband claims he can’t find me tho’ when I’m sewing. What an imagination he has. I’ve decided to make lap quilts for the nursing home, our church’s Christmas tree for children; and for our church nursery in order to get rid of some material; however, I KNOW I don’t have the correct colors, etc.

44. carylanne says:

Ok fabraholics unite… I became a collector of prints and batiks when I started quilting in 1992. I was perfectly happy with collecting fat quarters and a yard of this and that. What happened those quilts needed backings, that meant when I found a batch of fats I had to have a 3 yd cut of something coordinating with it. Then all those blendable threads for machine quilting and the fabulous bindings and more fabric to make my own. Whew!! In 2005 I bought my dream machine, a Janome 10000 used but not really used if you get my drift. I looked and read and played with it for a full year, then I embroidered out one of the designs in the machine. I was immediately hooked. Now my collecting has to do with threads and designs. I must say that now I have 6 different bins of thread for ME. Don’t get me started on the many types of thread. I have found some really great deals on auction sites for thread groups, I now have threads from weight 8 to 40 and I do wind my own bobbins. I am still learning, it is so much fun. I do sew still but I use my old machine for that as my MC is always working a new design.. LOL (^:^)

45. Michelle in SLC, UT says:

Our home is our haven and if fabric and threads makes us happy then I say the more the merry. Why should we hide or shame our stashes? They make us happy! There is no shame in happiness 🙂 I’m glad my hubby supports my habits and I support his habits we enjoy them and go together to gather more stashes of our own. But I think someone should invent a ‘endless closet, endless desk drawers, endless containers’ so that our wonderful stashes can have a lovely spot once we ‘adopt’ them 🙂

46. Peggy says:

My excuse for buying fabric was always so that when we retired and didn’t have much money, I could still sew. Well, we are retired and I still can’t resist buying more!!

47. TIna says:

Can yo all share your favorite on line fabric stores….. PLEASE

48. Dona says:

At last, I found a sisterhood of fabric-a-holics.
    I have this “sickness” for 50 years. But two years ago my house was flooded. It was then that my children discovered my secret addiction.
    FABRIC. They considered a hospital for a time.
    So, no matter what befalls a sewist-they will prevail.Today I have as much or more than before.(P.S.) I was able to save 90% of my stash. MAY THE FABRIC HOARDERS LIVE ON.

Thanks for giving

49. Diane says:

Why must we refer to ourselves as addicted? We hurt no one and are supremely HAPPY! and we gift others! No aplogies from this fabric-a-holic!

50. Kay tomblin says:

When my kids cant find me they call the fabric
    store, does that count/

51. Laura Clang says:

I too am a fabriholic. We lived for 40 years in a big old 2 story brick house and now have had to move to a one story, all on one level house for health reasons. I have one bedroom for my sewing stuff but I find out that is not nearly enough so will have to part with much of my stash and patterns, books, magazines, yarn, etc. It has been a fun run anyway.

52. Kate says:

A wonderful, wise and funny local fabric store owner (now retired) told us at Bernina Club that our fabric stores are not stashes, they are our resource centers.

My husband doesn’t have any problem with my buying fabric; he understands I am happy then (he is a great guy!). He also has pointed out that he has an entire building for his shop (metal and woodworking)so it really isn’t a problem if I have a room plus some overflow.

Here is an idea if you do want to use up some older fabrics: my local Bernina Club has periodic “contests” to finish those UFO (UnFinished Objects). It is lots of fun to see what people are getting done. I finished a skirt that I had started 30 years ago. I did have to make a few modifications to fit my older body!

If you don’t have a sewing club, maybe you and sewing friends could challenge each other.

Happy sewing! Keep buying fabric, after all, it is our way to stimulate the economy!

53. Pat Raines says:

This blog talks like fabric addiction is a bad thing hehehe. I, too, love fabric and have a considerable collection. I will admit that the on line fabrics make it waaay tooo easy!
    Would love the site that has the Material Girl design!
    Thanks for posting – now I know I’m “normal”
    Pat

54. DIANE says:

Maybe we should simply start a fabri-holics club..We can share ideas and projects to help use our stash so we can get more….

55. Junebh. says:

I am so glad, I’m not alone, it seems to be a world wide epidemic.
    Loved reading all your stories.
    Now I will have breky before I go into the sewing room,and loose myself for the day.
    It is the greatest therapy of all.

Goodday to you all.

June, Sydney AUSTRALIA

56. nama2 says:

Soooo! I am not the only one. I just joined the newsletter and finished reading all your wonderful stories. I kinda figured I wasn’t alone in the quest for “She who dies with the most fabric, thread, scissors, etc. WINS”