Embroidery On Toilet Paper Made Easy

by Sandy Lawson

SUPPLIES: Hooped stabilizer, glue stick, approximately 9 sheets (NOT
separated) single-ply toilet paper (Scots works well), an embroidery
design that is low stitch count (redwork and others under 5000
stitches work well).

Step 1:  Hoop stabilizer

TP1

Step 2:  Fold 4 pieces of toilet paper back on itself. Now your strip
is only 5 sheets long

TP2

Step 3: Turn toilet paper OVER, so the “right side” is continuous and
smooth.

TP3

Step 4: With the “right side” up, put a tiny bit of glue stick on each
corner. Just enough to tack it to stabilizer.

TP4

Step 5: Embroider design, using slow speed on your machine

TP5

Step 6: Unhoop and GENTLY trim stabilizer. Remember, this is toilet
paper, so don’t attempt to tear stabilizer away. I cut the stabilizer
just a little smaller the toilet paper.

TP6

Step 7: Gently dab a tiny amount of glue stick on the seam edge of the
WRONG side of the toilet paper

TP7

Step 8: Tuck the “raw” edge (the one NOT embroidered on) under the
design edge and press lightly

tp9.jpg

Suggestions: Use a CD case (such as the type that 100 CDs come in) for
dust free display; or cover the bottom of the toilet paper tube with
cardboard, fill with potpourri, then enclose in netting with ribbon at
top.

Also: Embroider a similar design on organza. Cut out, leaving about an
inch all around the design. Dampen a sponge and lay on a bar of soap
for about 15 minutes to soften the soap.  Place the organza design on
the soap and work organza edge in by gently patting the soap with the
sponge. Makes a really nice gift set for the bath!  …and unusual as
well. People are fascinated that you can ‘sew on TP and soap’.

<insert TP9 here

24 Responses to Embroidery On Toilet Paper Made Easy

1. Eric says:

These are the best directions I have seen. I have been trying to figure this out for months, looking everywhere for tutorials and instructions. This article explains the entire process simply and easily. They will go into my “instructions” Book. Thank you to the author(s)

2. Joan Simmons says:

3. Megann-N-Middle-TNC says:

I have a question…You suggest putting machine on a lower speed…I have had my machine for over a year now and I never have changed the speed…Where do I do this…I have Futura CE100.
    Thank you and I love EMbroidering on TP

Megann-N-Middle-TNC

4. margaret says:

I have been embroidery on toilet paper for a couple of years – everyone I give a roll to is just amazed that it is toilet paper. I plan to do the matching soap. Thanks for the great designs.

5. Anonymous says:

So much easier looking than just embroidering one sheet!!!! Thanks for making it look doable.

Janette

6. Jo Dell says:

Thank you for these instructions. I saw some of
    this done years ago and thought it was so pretty.
    Now that I have an embroidery machine I will have
    to try it. It looks simple but knowing me it will
    take a while before I can do it.

7. Zeta says:

I have sewn on TP for several years now and it is so much fun to see the reaction on the recipents face.

Using a large CD holder is an excellent idea and this is the first time I have heard of that.

Thank you for your instructions and good ideas.

8. Sandy says:

I’m still trying to figure out why I would want to embroider on TP??

9. Esme says:

What a novel idea – definitely worth trying!

10. carolhoffy says:

Wow – thanks so much for taking the time to write out and display visual for this. I can not wait to try it. Something everyone has to use and inexpensive enough in these times to be able to give to more people.
    Thanks again!

11. Jan says:

Love reading your newsletters and this one came at the right time! I have seen embroidery done on toilet paper but never worked out how to do it. Your instructions are clear and easy to understand – Thankyou you have solved a few novelty Christmas Pressies. Jan

12. Mary H says:

I have never heard or seen of such a thing. What creativity! This is truly awesome. Being a novice with my Viking SE, this is defintely something I want to try doing. Thank you very much for the wonderful Christmas ideas.

13. Karen says:

Thank you for the instructions! I have wondered about this as well! This would make a great stocking stuffer for my ladies sewing group! (also, some machines do not have an adjustable speed, I have a Brother PE400D and the speed is not adjustable on it, I also have a Brother Innovis 4500D, Duetta and it does adjust for speed)

14. LindaG says:

Thank you so much for these clear instructions. Do you have a favorite stabilizer to use? It looks like tear away or cut away – but I’m getting the feeling it shouldn’t be water soluable (even though it would never get wet)

15. Sandy says:

I too wonder why do you want to sew on toliet paper?? What are you making?

16. Christine says:

I Like the instructions, very clear. I will try someday. Some is saying why do this. It is a gift for someone who has everything. Something for them to be amazed about you embroidering on TP. Just to put in bath for decoration. Neat ideal I think.

17. Joan Brown says:

I made one and gave to a friend. She was stunned. Today, I am making some more. Easy instructions. Thank-you.

18. Nina Chevalier says:

I have tried this technique using other instructions – but yours worked better than any. Thank you very mch.

19. Joyce says:

Great idea and the instructions are given in an easy to understand way. I love the pictures. I can’t wait to give it a try.

20. wendyj says:

what a brilliant idea a great present for those who have everything will have to copy this in my book very easy instructions to follow well done

21. Joan Thurlow says:

Thank you for the easy step by step instructions. I have seen a lot of differant ones but yours are easy to follow and I cannot wait to try it .

22. Kim says:

Great instructions. I leave mine on the roll use cutaway stabilizer usually one long enough to cover 3 squares and a smaller one where the design goes. Glue the end when done. Also have put them in net and plastic bags. Thought about potporri on middle to add a bit of frangrance. Even thought about a ribbon around to hold but not sure on that!!
    Thanks for sharing!!

23. Barbara says:

Thank you for the how to it is very nice of you to send this to me.I would like to ask Margret how you would do the soap idea? that is so cool to go along with tp barbara

24. Joni B says:

Thank you Sandy, These instructions are so easy to follow. I was racking my brain for a small Hostess gift for my Daughter, neighbors who were so gratious to invite me to their Holiday get-to-gethers. My Daughter and family are new to their area and the neighbors as so nice. I was looking for a gift that wouldn’t mean (lets exchange). Just Thank You. Perfect!!!!!! I will also add the matching soap. Perfect for a GUEST bath. Joni B