The Wonderful World of Mylar

by Heidi Kilgore
Well, somebody has taken a  regular idea and made it better.  Welcome to the new and wonderful world of Mylar.   When it first came out I thought, “Oh no, here we go again. Can it work? Will it work?”

I finally put my ideas together for Designs by Sick and  came up with something new for the website.  Yes, Mylar is workable with the home machine embroidery.  They make designs sparkle beyond  belief.  The first one I did was a real dud, but with practice comes perfection for sure.

[Editor's note: First of all, I know many of you are thinking, "What is Mylar?  Does Heidi want us to do something with those big silver balloons?"  No, actually Mylar is that iridescent film you see used in gift bags or wrapping Easter/gift baskets!]

Now, rumor is going around that other designs that have been previously published could be used with Mylar also.  The first thing that came to my mind was the DD Lace Ornaments.  just slide a little piece of Mylar in under it before beginning and it will give a whole new look for the ornament that you are using.

Without Mylar

Without Mylar

With Mylar

With Mylar

Now, let me tell you a little about my method. One design can be stitched out to give you two different looks. The first set is butterflies with lace in them. You can stitch them with Mylar or they can appliquéd with fabric. You can leave the lace off, or you can Stitch out the lace.  The possibilities go on and on.

Now, on the second set (and there will be a second set) you can also use these designs as regular lace designs, just leave off the placement stitch and the tack down stitch the first 2 rounds, and you will have a lacy design instead of one with Mylar.

Some suggestions with working with Mylar:
Stay with the machine it tends to dull the needle fast and if so it starts messing up.
You may want to back off your speed a little if possible, makes for slower but sometimes better sewing on these projects.

I don’t believe that pictures does the Mylar justice, I would suggest that you make one, but be careful you will get hooked on this new and wonderful way to add life to a traditional craft.

The new applique set for Mylar will be uploaded to the website within the next 24 hours.  Keep watching!

For instructions on how to appliqué with Mylar, please click here.

Click here to see the new Mylar Butterflies set.

butterfly-without

Without Mylar

butterfly-with

With Mylar

This entry was posted in Articles, Project of the Week. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to The Wonderful World of Mylar

1. Kaye R says:

can itoms with mylor be warshed?
    is one type of mylor better than another?

2. Iva Vaughn says:

Where do you get the Mylar from?

3. Luanne says:

Clever idea Heidi. You’ve given me a new project to think about. Thanks

4. quilted quail says:

Hi, I’ve been experimenting, too. Did you know that you can use it in snow globe patterns with salt between it and the embroidery? It looks like there is really snow in there when you shake it. It takes some experimentation to keep the satin stitch around the outside of the globe from perforating the mylar too much and letting the salt out, however. Give it a try!

5. Mary says:

I have seen the use of mylar just last week on another website and immediately down loaded the designs they are beautiful. But they did not give a lot of information as to where you find the mylar, needle size stabilizing etc. So was very excited to see them on this web site, Is anyone going to do a tutorial? I love to see a step by step. These look beautiful too, but need a little information. needle size etc, would be most helpful.. Thank you for keep us all up on the latest in embroidery techs

6. Charlet in Idaho says:

This a VERY neat idea-keep them coming- I enjoy my embroidery machine more all the time!!!!!!

7. jnonna says:

I have not worked with Mylar -but I been putting iridescent organza under some stitch-outs. Just make sure stitches aren’t too thick- this will cause the organza to fray. But it sure does give depth to some designs.

8. Irene says:

Looks neat. Think I would like to try one some time. Can I order mylar online? don’t have a craft store near me.

9. Maureen Grindell says:

Where is mylar available? Can it be purchased through you? Do you have special instructions for it’s use? Thanks….Maureen

[editor's note: I found the Mylar in Michael's Craft store - and the instructions are now online- I have just added the link to the article. Rob]

10. DebraMc says:

Just saw some samples of this at my sewing club a lady had done. They were beautiful. I can’t wait to try.

11. Sharon says:

Great job with the mylar. I have been doing this for about 5 years now with my FSL ornaments. You have to be careful though and use it with designs that do not have a lot of open spaces or then you have to punch them out and it is sometimes hard to get it totally out. Have fun with this. I have had a ball.

12. Barb Dircks says:

These are beautiful… thanks for showing the without and the with the mylar so we can see the difference.. Great job…

13. DBW01 says:

Thanks for sharing!

14. JAN says:

Hello Heide,

Where are some places I can buy mylar?

Thanks for the great pointers of how to use.

Jan

15. Marlene says:

I ordered the mylar online. It was not too expensive. Was told that you cannot use the kind from the dollar store. The kind I got is washable and can even press with a cloth and low temp. Am anxious to try a lot of patterns as soon as my machine gets back from its checkup. (o;

16. emma says:

you shop will be flooded with mylar shoppers now ;) hehehe looks fab btw!!

17. Avryl says:

Is this available in South Africa, and is there anyone here who could demonstrate.

18. harry says:

Been waiting for this sort of information!

19. Gerry says:

I tried Michael’s for the Mylar and they have no idea what I’m talking about. They directed my to the Mylar Balloons. Is it called something else ??
    [editor's note: In Michaels', go to the gift wrapping section. The Mylar is folded like tissue paper and packaged in plastic. It is not called Mylar - look for it on the shelf]

20. kanagee moodle says:

This sounds like wonderful fun. Where can I purchase this in South Africa? particularly the washable stuff?

21. heidi says:

ok, it seems that i left out where i got my mylar from, the first was sent to me from Michels, and it was from one of my best friends. I have found in online since. here’s the link.

so there you go girls.

happy sewing
    heidi

22. Denise Gartner says:

You can buy Mylar from the Sharon at Heirlooms by Sharon at the following link.

She has lots of information about Mylar on her website and also a Tutorial.

Nancy’s Notions also sells Mylar on line.

23. Denise Gartner says:

Embroidering on Mylar is not any different than embroidering other types of designs.

You should choose your stabilizer according to the weight and type of the fabric you are going to stitch on and also the number of stitches in the design.

Needle size should be 75/11 or 80/12.

24. JoAnn says:

Thanks for the designs. I’ve stitched out a few designs from other sites using Mylar and they look great! Can’t wait to try these. As to the mylar, I bought a role at Michael’s (cellophane) and I did a sample stitch, then soaked it in cold water and then ironed it and had no problems with the mylar and design. Enjoy.

25. Marilyn says:

I used the butterflies on the top of the bookmarks pattern!!! Turned out great.

26. Tina says:

Is ist possible to buy Mylar in Germany?

27. Anonymous says:

I’ve been looking in the gift wrap section of several stores and none have a product called mylar, but all have cellophane. The pictures at heirloomsbysharon look like cellophane. One message above has called it cellophane. Is the product actually cellophane?

Dea Ann
    [editor's note: Dea - I was able to locate it in Michael's and it is with the tissue paper. It is called foil tissue and comes folded in a package. Hope this helps!
    rob
    editor]

28. clv6992 says:

I didn’t have mylar, but I found some irridescent nylon material. I used that in the lace designs and it made them more stable and shines between the stitches. I had an angel from another site with just the fsl lace and by using this material I don’t have to use the washaway stabilizer and her dress looks elegant. After stitching, I use a hot woodworking tool to run along the edges and it removes loose threads and sears the edge nicely from any unravelling.

29. Peter says:

Hi!

If you are having trouble finding Mylar you can use the balloons made for filling with helium. It is the same stuff.