DesignsBySiCK.com home page

Thread: Help Brother PE770 Bobbin thread showing on top

Default Help Brother PE770 Bobbin thread showing on top

Im not new to embroidery or brother machines but Im stumped here. I just got my new Brother PE770 a week ago (upgraded from the se400) I started using it 3 days ago.. It was working beautifully then all of a sudden today the bobbin thread started showing on the top. I did not change any of what I was doing..it just started stitching bad out of nowhere.

First of all let me point out that YES the bobbin & upper thread is threaded correctly & YES I only thread the top thread when the pressure foot is in the UP Position & the red light is on.

here is a list of the things I have tried:

1 turned machine off...let sit for 5 min.. turned it back on (I always try a reboot first on any computerized equiptment) (No Change)
    2 re-threaded both upper thread & bobbin multiple times (no change)
    3 changed to a new bobbin, I'm using the pre-wound bobbins that came with the machine(no change)
    4 changed the upper thread (no change)
    5 Dusted & cleaned the bobbin case & area (no change)
    6 Check the upper threading to make sure there are no stuck threads causing additional tension (no change)
    7 Tried adjusting the bobbin tension (no change)
    8 Tried adjusting the upper thread tension (no change)
    9 Turned off everything & walked away for an hour cause im going crazy...pulled a little hair out..
    10 started from the beginning again & ran through 2-8 again... still no change..

I'm at a complete loss on this & its a new machine I use for my small business & I have orders to fill so I'm in a bit of a panic

I'm also including some pictures of my multiple tests through out my attempts

I would be extremely thankful for any help any one can provide
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	076.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	39803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	077.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	39804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	078.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	39805  

Are these the same designs as before? If not, it could be that the designs are poorly digitized. Other items to check: needle--a #11 or #12 sharp needle should be used; proper stabilizer; and proper hooping.
    Never give up, never surrender.

thanks for the reply..
    Yes, I'm using the same designs as I was before as well as the same stabilizers & thread & I'm embroidering on the exact same fabrics I had been using when it was working perfectly

I also tried changing the needle as well. I tried the ones that came with the machine & I tried the organ needles in the 75/11 that I had been using

I also tried changing the size of the needle from 11 to 14 to 16 & back to 11 again. still having an issue.

Mysticalmoon, first off welcome to DBS. Did you try cleaning out the bobbin area and making sure that there wasn't a bit of thread or lint in the bobbin area. If you cleaned out the bobbin area and you said you've already cleaned the upper thread path, Then what I'd do is keeping loosing the upper thread tension as the upper thread pulls the bobbin up to the top.
    A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
    http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY & Click for the earth http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

Quote Originally Posted by Shastasmom View Post
    Mysticalmoon, first off welcome to DBS. Did you try cleaning out the bobbin area and making sure that there wasn't a bit of thread or lint in the bobbin area. If you cleaned out the bobbin area and you said you've already cleaned the upper thread path, Then what I'd do is keeping loosing the upper thread tension as the upper thread pulls the bobbin up to the top.
    OK so this morning I started fresh.
    1 before even plugging in the machine I made sure the upper path way & bobbin area are clean & free of debris or stray threads
    2 I put in a brand new 75/11 needle & placed a new prewound bobbin in correctly
    3 I started with the Polystar 50wt embroidery thread that came with the machine (showing bobbin thread badly)
    4 re-threaded upper thread using the 40wt I already had (little better.. but still having issue)
    5 I then began lowering the upper thread tension & testing until I couldn't lower it anymore(little better, but still showing bobbin thread)
    6 Dis dull test run with weeping angle applique..

as you can see in the pictures the A is terrible (test at step 2) The B is a little better but still not right (test after step 4) & The C is a little better than the B but not by much, although it seemed to get better at the end of the C (test after step 5)

Also gave it a complete test run on a full applique & it still isn't working quite right

questions..
    1) Is it possible I have a bad bobbin case? I'm thinking of just ordering a new one just to be sure
    2) I saw on another forum that someone who was having a similar problem ran waxed dental floss through the upper thread pathway. seems logical that it would help, but I'm leery anything that may leave a possibly damaging deposit of wax

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	39807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	39808  

Mysticalmoon, I wouldn't used waxed dental floss, but unwaxed. I purchased some from CVS Pharmacy about 4 years ago and that is strictly for my machines. The waxed could leave a deposit of wax, and I'm like you, that would be a no-no.

It is possible that you have a bad bobbin. Try winding your own bobbin using bobbins from your other machine. Also try using 40wt upper thread as most designs are digitized for the 40wt thread.

I did a search for your problem and came up with a lot of sites that may help you.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bobbin+thread+showing+on+top
    A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
    http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY & Click for the earth http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

Mysticalmoon,
    Hello i have a PE770 as well as a PE 500. both tend to have this problem once in awhile. I have spent money several times having my PE770 machine in the shop to fix this problem for me. It is a bit of top tension but most of the problem is in your bobbin tension. read your manuel and it will tell you how to adjust the bobbin tension. it is the flat head screw and you turn it righty tighty 1/4 turn at a time to adjust the tension. this will fix your problem for now. you will find that you will have to do this again and again. eventually you will have to replace the bobbin holder, just not right now. set you up a hoop and use one of the alphabets preset in your machine that is a satin stitch and use this to test your tensions as you make adjustments.

If you only wind bobbins on your PE770 they should work the best for you. If you use prewound bobbins this will change again. The winding tension of the bobbin thread will be different on everything out there that winds bobbins. Prewounds are one tension setting. Your PE770 will be a different bobbin winding tension and on anything else will be different also. This is something to keep in mind.

People will tell you NOT to adjust your bobbin tension but that is not the case for todays machines.

Let me know if i can help you further, BTW I have over 20 million stitches on my PE770 and my PE 500 and they both work great once i have figured out the solution to the same problem you are having right now. Be sure to inspect all your parts and make sure there are no nicks or cracks in your bobbin area

Cheryl

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by sageroze View Post
    Mysticalmoon,
    Hello i have a PE770 as well as a PE 500. both tend to have this problem once in awhile. I have spent money several times having my PE770 machine in the shop to fix this problem for me. It is a bit of top tension but most of the problem is in your bobbin tension. read your manuel and it will tell you how to adjust the bobbin tension. it is the flat head screw and you turn it righty tighty 1/4 turn at a time to adjust the tension. this will fix your problem for now. you will find that you will have to do this again and again. eventually you will have to replace the bobbin holder, just not right now. set you up a hoop and use one of the alphabets preset in your machine that is a satin stitch and use this to test your tensions as you make adjustments.

If you only wind bobbins on your PE770 they should work the best for you. If you use prewound bobbins this will change again. The winding tension of the bobbin thread will be different on everything out there that winds bobbins. Prewounds are one tension setting. Your PE770 will be a different bobbin winding tension and on anything else will be different also. This is something to keep in mind.

People will tell you NOT to adjust your bobbin tension but that is not the case for todays machines.

Let me know if i can help you further, BTW I have over 20 million stitches on my PE770 and my PE 500 and they both work great once i have figured out the solution to the same problem you are having right now. Be sure to inspect all your parts and make sure there are no nicks or cracks in your bobbin area

Cheryl
    thanks for the advice, but if you had read through all my posts, you will see in my lists of what I tried so far, adjusting the top thread & bobbin tension has been tried more than once & i even tried again this morning with no positive results at all. I tried winding my own bobbins & that failed miserably showing almost no color thread at all. Also I stated I'm not new to embroidery. I DID & do use my manual. The reason Im looking for help here is because I have tried all the suggestions recommended in the manual and in the brother help section on line as well as the

these are the steps I tried AGAIN today
    1 - cleaned the upper thread pathway & bobbin area again.. I don' think it can get any cleaner (no change)
    2 - tried changing the needle from an 11 to a 14 to a 16... (no change)
    3 - Tried a whole new prewound bobbin from the middle of the box... (no change)
    4 - Tried winding my own bobbin - (got much worse)
    5 - went back to prewound bobbin ( went back to the original point of SUCK with no change)
    6 - Adjusted top thread tension back & forth.. (nothing)
    7 - Adjusted the bobbin thread back & forth .. (nothing..yet again)
    8 - walk away before I throw my brand new machine at the WALL! sit on the couch & CRY uncontrollably!

Im really at the end of my roap here with this. Its a brand new machine I have had only a week! I cannot adjust the tension any more than I already have. (so if you have some more advice awesome, but if its to adjust my tension, please don't tell me that because I already have multiple times.) so obviously there is some other issue here that is causing a tension problem other than what I can adjust. I cant afford to bring it to get serviced since I just spent all the money i had saved to buy it thinking investing in an upgraded to a new machine would be a good thing. I will be calling brother tomorrow. At the moment Im am regretting even purchasing this machine & wish I had just had my se400 serviced instead. I was so excited to get the pe770 and it ran so beautifully the first day I was in love with it. Im now inworse shape thani was before i bought it! Im completely screwed on the orders I have for Christmas right now.

Chances are that you do have a bobbin holder that is damaged. It took me more than a week to get my new bobbin holders in. I used my machine during that waiting time and I was just extra slow at threading the bobbing area and before cutting the thread I would pull a little extra through so that it caught in the tension on the bobbin holder and it was not perfect, but because I too had orders I needed to get out, I wound bobbins with the same thread asIi had on top, and the little issue I was having was being hidden by the matching thread. Every time my color change would come up I had to take extra special care with threading the bobbing and making sure it was caught in the tension as best as I could. You may take a look at the bobbin holder on your SE400 and see if it is the same as you have in your 770. Since I have a PE500 they are the same and I had a friend that had a SE400 and I think hers was the same also but can't remember for sure. Since you have only had your 770 for a week you need to make where you bought it get a new one in Pronto and make an exchange. I am so sorry you are having issues with yours. If you lived close to me I could probably fix it for you or at least give you a new bobbin holder to try out since I now keep an extra on hand

Cheryl
    Last edited by sageroze; December 7th, 2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Cool Solution found

Quote Originally Posted by sageroze View Post
    Chances are that you do have a bobbin holder that is damaged. It took me more than a week to get my new bobbin holders in. I used my machine during that waiting time and I was just extra slow at threading the bobbing area and before cutting the thread I would pull a little extra through so that it caught in the tension on the bobbin holder and it was not perfect, but because I too had orders I needed to get out, I wound bobbins with the same thread asIi had on top, and the little issue I was having was being hidden by the matching thread. Every time my color change would come up I had to take extra special care with threading the bobbing and making sure it was caught in the tension as best as I could. You may take a look at the bobbin holder on your SE400 and see if it is the same as you have in your 770. Since I have a PE500 they are the same and I had a friend that had a SE400 and I think hers was the same also but can't remember for sure. Since you have only had your 770 for a week you need to make where you bought it get a new one in Pronto and make an exchange. I am so sorry you are having issues with yours. If you lived close to me I could probably fix it for you or at least give you a new bobbin holder to try out since I now keep an extra on hand

Cheryl
    Again.. thanks for the great advice cheryl.. you where correct to a degree, it turns out that the bobbin case did have an issue aside from just adjusting the tension. I called Brother & spoke with a tech. After I ran through ever so long list of things I tried He agreed with "problem with the bobbin case theory" here is the solution we came to:

Reason for problem:
    Prewound bobbins tend to have a little bit of a coating on it. This can cause a buildup along the bobbin thread path causing issues with attaining a proper thread tension

Here is what he had me do:
    Remove the bobbin case
    cut a small piece of card stock paper (I used my business card) he said the card stock paper is the best thing to remove the buildup
    Run the paper through the thread path of the bobbin case
    place the 90wt bobbin back in the case & run it through the pathway & reset the tension

SUCCESS!!! "And there was much rejoicing"....And YES I did my happy dance!!!

I did order another bobbin case I don't need at this very moment now, but it will be good to have the spare part for the future. I included a picture of the successful embroidery test & the bobbin case. Hopefully this thread will someone else

I thanks everyone who took the time to help me troubleshoot this issue. if it wasn't for all your kind help & suggestions to try before I called brother, I could have been on the phone with tech support for days...LOL

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	39811  

I'm having the same issues. My machine is only a month old and I've been using the pre-wound bobbins. Thanks for sharing what the tech told you to try. I'll be trying it out.

update: I tried the cleaning with the card stock and got some yellowish stuff out. However, I tried to sew again and it didn't change anything. I did a test with the pre-wound bobbins vs winding my own. Big difference. Not a single white thread showed through using the one I wound. Now what to do with the 100+ pre-wound bobbins I'll never use.
    Last edited by Flyinonflame; August 22nd, 2015 at 06:11 PM.

I am so glad this thread popped up today! I have been having similar problems with my new machine as well! I was able to adjust tension but it's great to know how to clean it for future reference!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinonflame View Post
    Now what to do with the 100+ pre-wound bobbins I'll never use.
    You could sell them here...

http://www.embroideryforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/20-Sources-Advertising

Thread Information