Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medicare

As pretty in attitude as my picture
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by wienerin View Post
      dollyj ... please be a bit more careful in your wording ...
      Sorry, Head in sand.
      Last edited by dollyj; March 12th, 2010 at 12:58 AM.

Forum Friend
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

I do believe that we need to read all the small print and make sure we understand everything before we go on medicare. It is not as understandable as one may think. A lot of the insurance companys do hold seminars on this subject and we need to go to these before we go on medicare. On an other note does everyone know that the AAA has a discount card on prescriptions that covers prescriptions that are not covered with insurance plans. It can be a 10 to 20 percent savings. Check into to this it even covers some prescriptions for anamals. Check it out. It is part of your Show your card and Save program

There is Sunshine in my Heart
      is addicted to SICK

I am:
      Happy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jstitch View Post
      123mccoach, have you tried a regular insurance agent? When my parents applied for medicare a few years ago, that's who they talked to.

Thank heavens my parents have medicare! But with dad in a wheelchair, and mom being his primary care giver, they really need some help. They really need in-home, but it is too expensive. I'm with you wondering what people are supposed to do. She has such a hard time even getting him out of bed in the morning (he is paralyzed from the waist down). Luckily right now my nephew can go and help her three mornings a week. I'm sure before all's said and done, my siblings and I will be paying a monthly bill to some type of facility.
      That's hard to put your mom or dad in a nursing home, but you have to think of your mom and her health and well being. Would it be easier for your mom to go visit every day or stay home all the time to take care of your dad. She can't get out of the house unless she has someone to come in while she is gone. What kind of life is your mom having. I know from experience. You have to take care of the caregiver.

My mom did not want to go to a nursing home and she wouldn't move in with my family. she wanted to die at home. Well, guess what, I had to move out of my home to take care of her while my family and I suffered. It is very difficult to be a caregiver my mind, body and family took it's tole. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I've lived it and I'm trying to let you know my experience. I loved my mother and would do anything for her, but if I had to do it all over again, I would find the best nursing home we could afford and visit her daily. We would have had better conversations then we did. The closer she got to dieing the meaner she got. I had to put up with a lot besides taking care of her.

I don't know if you have these in your area but you know you could always move both of them into a facility that has nursing care but is not a nursing home. I put my God mother into one where she could come and go as she pleased, but they furnished meals and someone came by every morning to give her meds and check on her. There are no kitchens in the rooms but you can put a small fridge for drinks and things. She had a bedroom, bathroom and living room. All doors lock to the hall like apartments. Everything is ala cart. You can have someone come in an clean or your mom can do it. You can do your own laundry or they will come and get it and bring it back done. It wasn't so hard to put her there. However, when your father passes and your mother is capable of taking care of herself, she would have to move unless a doctor states she cannot take care of herself.

My very best to you, your mom and your siblings.

There is Sunshine in my Heart
      is addicted to SICK

I am:
      Happy

Smile

Thank you all for your help with my situation. I will definately call the number given. Also my neighbor said I can go to any pharmacy and they will talk to me and help me decide what is best for me since they know what kind of drugs I take and the cost plus what SS will pay for them.

I appreciate all your help.

And if I overstepped my bounds below, I'm sorry. Sometimes I speak with my foot in my mouth. LOL

Maybe not a master yet, but I'm on the way!
      is gonna be organized sometime
      this year!

I am:
      Crazy

123mccoach, your advice is well said. I tried a couple of years ago to get mom to take dad and move to an assisted living center. She is in great health, and was not ready for that, so I could not talk her into it. Now dad needs too much care for them to accept them in this kind of place.

I agree that mom doesn't have the kind of life I'd like to see her have, but it kills her inside to think of dad in a care facility. She promised him that as long as he knows her she will take care of him. In her situation, it's a little different, as she has been helping him (because of his paralysis) all of their married life (over 55 years!). And because she is healthy and of sound mind, it has to be her decision. I just try to help out when I can. That's why I go over to sit with him on Wednesday afternoons, so she can have a break. What would really be nice is if the taxes he contributed to the system (for himself and the 20 employees) could help in some way to pay for someone to come in a couple extra hours a week. At $20/hour, it can become prohibitive.

Hope you can get some help with your situation.

Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Jstitch, I know when I was taking care of Julie there was a lot of help available for respit care.
      The BIG problem for me was that it was all for senior citizens, I could not get any help because Julie was only 35-36 and so even if I was almost a senior I could noy get help.

this year!

I am:
      Crazy

Joyce, was there respite care that was reasonable? There is some available here, but it is so expensive as to make it prohibitive. We've also looked into hospice, but they tell us tht hospice is only for terminal patients. So---isn't life terminal? lol

Love works best when you spread it around!
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

jstitch, another thought would be to check and see if there is a CCRC (Complete Care Retirment Center) in the area. If there is, they often can accomodate two people on two different levels of care.

Where I used to work we had everything from independent living apartments to a long-term care nursing facility. It was not unusual to find people who were living in the independent living part of the facility while their spouses were living in assisted living or the nursing facility. That way the person who needed assisted or heavy care got what they needed and the other spouse was able to visit as much or as little as they wished while maintaining an independent lifestyle. --Just a thought.
      Kari
      Sewing is just another way to show your love

Official Fabric Queen (So many textiles, so little time!)
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

In Canada, we have universal health care. In British Columbia where I live, we pay medical premiums of $96.00 per month, and that lets us go to doctors and have emergency etc. If you are on low income, there is a form and you can have your monthly cost reduced. There are also programs for people with low income to help pay for prescriptions. Many companies also have private insurance which work over and above the basic medical system.
      Rebekah
      Embroidery Wizard
      Official Fabric Queen
      Princess of Chat
      Album
      http://www.designsbysick.com/forums/album.php?u=2008

Official Fabric Queen (So many textiles, so little time!)
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Quote Originally Posted by Designer Kat View Post
      I am so sorry about your medicare troubles, if the execs in Washinton had to live like the rest of us do I would be willing to bet that they would clean up the mediciad and medicare fraud and cheating that goes on. Let's hope that they do not get the healthcare bill passed, I grew up with horror stories of government run heathcare. It's why my family left bonny Scotland. The rich pay to get ahead of the poor and the poor die waiting to get care! We had a friend in Canada that made a prenatal appointment when she first had morning sickness and the government run healthcare there said that they could do her prenatal care appt. in 10 months! I really hope that you can get help, there are food kitchens that give away bags of food and you may qualify for other govt. help. Check and see.

Sincerely, Kat
      I am not sure what doctor your friend in Canada, had, but I had 2 children here and never had a problem. I recieved all the prenatal care I needed and now those children are also having babies.
      My daughter and my niece both had surgery last week and both are doing just fine under universal health care.
      Rebekah
      Embroidery Wizard
      Official Fabric Queen
      Princess of Chat
      Album
      http://www.designsbysick.com/forums/album.php?u=2008

Sew many addictions, sew little time
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Originally Posted by Designer Kat
      "I am so sorry about your medicare troubles, if the execs in Washinton had to live like the rest of us do I would be willing to bet that they would clean up the mediciad and medicare fraud and cheating that goes on. Let's hope that they do not get the healthcare bill passed, I grew up with horror stories of government run heathcare. It's why my family left bonny Scotland. The rich pay to get ahead of the poor and the poor die waiting to get care! We had a friend in Canada that made a prenatal appointment when she first had morning sickness and the government run healthcare there said that they could do her prenatal care appt. in 10 months! I really hope that you can get help, there are food kitchens that give away bags of food and you may qualify for other govt. help. Check and see.

Sincerely, Kat "

For my second child my ob was in Port Huron MI accross from the bridge. 90% of the women there were from Canada. The doctor said some would be 8 months along and cross to the US and pay for care because they were still waiting for the first prenatal visit. I can't say about now, but back then most of the patients in Port Huron were from Canada and paying out of pocket.
      brenda in MI

Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Quote Originally Posted by jstitch View Post
      Joyce, was there respite care that was reasonable? There is some available here, but it is so expensive as to make it prohibitive. We've also looked into hospice, but they tell us tht hospice is only for terminal patients. So---isn't life terminal? lol
      Jstitch, hospice is basically to help you die. It did help to have hospice because Julie could not get in the shower anymore or get dressed, and they would do a load of wash for me and sweep the floor and fold clothes. They would stay for an hour everyday and they would also change the bed.
      Julie had a sore on her arm and we called and the nurse came right out to take a look at it.
      You have to go through them for any care because if you go to the emergency room or seek any medical care other than hospice they consider you are fighting the desease. then you are taken off of hospice.

I didn't even see any prices because all I had was info from a liason from the rehab assigned to come to the house for Julie. After her surgery she had to have Occupational, Physical, and Speach therapy. For the first 3 mo. after she came home she had therapy at home. After that I had to take her every week from Orem to Sandy for for therapy. Taking a newborn with me and finding a babysitter for Benny-4 yrs old.

Sorry, I think I'm rambling!!!!!! Joyce

this year!

I am:
      Crazy

Anytime you deal with a long-term illness, it seems like constant chasing, and doing for the afflicted. Can really wear a care-giver out! They told us that most patients outlive their caregivers because the caregivers just wear out. Most people don't realize what caregivers are going through unless they have been a caregiver themselves. I know with DH's illness, it sure has made me appreciate more what my mom has done for the past 55 years!

Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

I can certainly testify to the stress and the RUNNING involved in caring for someone with a terminal disease!!! Julie fought the fight for 2 yrs and 9 mo. The last 3 mo she had hospice and it was such a relief to not be running. The emotional side of it all was just as hard it's just I didn't have to constantly be on the go and I had help! Emotionally and phisically.

Quiet Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

My mother, Mary Ella, was a resident of the Care Center from 4/15 until 10/16, and she loved it there. There were activities going on every single day, the staff was so caring and dedicated and the food was good . Any changes in her or her routine, they kept us informed of. We felt like the Three Links Assisted Living staff was part of our family, and we knew she was being well-taken care of! It was a wonderful place for her to spend the last of her 105 years.

'Tis love we get when love we bring
      is wishing summer was still here.

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by timjn View Post
      My mother, Mary Ella, was a resident of the Care Center from 4/15 until 10/16, and she loved it there. There were activities going on every single day, the staff was so caring and dedicated and the food was good . Any changes in her or her routine, they kept us informed of. We felt like the Three Links Assisted Living staff was part of our family, and we knew she was being well-taken care of! It was a wonderful place for her to spend the last of her 105 years.
      Timjn, my condolences on the loss of your mother. But I am so happy for her and you that she loved the place where she was living. God bless her and your family.
      A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
      http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY & Click for the earth http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

Thread Information