• Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bernina Embroidery Software Version 4 - and no longer XP

Forum Member
      is Happy Freebie Designer

I am:
      Happy

Lightbulb Bernina Embroidery Software Version 4 - and no longer XP

Hi all,
      we are using the Bernina Embroidery Software V4 (BES V4) which we've (luckily!) bought rather cheaply second hand in 2008. (It comes with a USB dongle.). Then, after M$ stopped supporting Windows XP we had huge troubles getting it to work and were praying every day that our old laptop wouldn't die on us...
      Anyway, in the manwhile we were trying to find other solutions - and buying the newer Vista/Win7 supported version was not an option due to cost - and I've made several not-successful attempts. However, I've finally found a working solution and wanted to share it here, in case there are similar problems out there.

The problem
      BES V4 comes with with an Aladin HASP 4 USB security dongle, which is not properly supported under Win7 or Vista. (I think the actual BES V4 software would be compatible, but it requires the dongle and that one isn't working at all.)

The "maybe" solution (1)
      While it is no longer possible to buy WinXP laptops (or even new WinXP OS installer disks), one may still install his/her "old" WinXP on an old laptop and run with it. As we don't have any "spare" laptops laying around, that wasn't an option for us

The "maybe" solution (2)
      Alternatively, newer computers (with more CPUs and RAM) allow to install so called "virtual machines" which are basically a "computer in a computer". So while you're for example running Win7, you can open this program and run "a virtual" computer within a window. One can install any operating system (Linux, WinXP, Vista...) on such a virtual machine. Therefore, one can install a WinXP virtual machine on Win7 or Vista and be happy with it. (However, one still needs a valid WinXP installation disk!)
      I've Oracle's "Virtual Box" software, which comes for free and is generally very good. I really recommand it.
      However, despite several attempts, I failed getting the Bernina Software and USB dongle working properly on my Vista system :c((
      I still think it should be possible, and I've managed to get it working on a Win7 system (with some difficulties), so there is still hope.

The solution
      Microsoft has its own "virtual machine", which one can get for free, but only for the professional version of Vista/Win7. On Win7, one can get what Microsoft calls "XPmode", which is nothing else than a virtual machine with a fully licensed WinXP version "inside". (Hence, one doesn't need to have XP installer disks separately.) In this "XPmode" old software can be installed (under XP) and appears like a "normal" program within Win7. This is generally a good and easy thing, but it did not work for the Bernina Software (again because of the USB dongle). However, one can also start WinXP as a virtual machine, and after some trial&error and a very useful forum comment (which I'm grateful for, but have lost the reference...) I finally got it to work:

The trick is:
      - START WinXP as virtual machine. (Having the USB dongle attached. You may ignore that Win7/Vista doesn't find a proper driver for it...)
      - When in WinXP go to the TOOLS menu of the VirutalMachine and DISABLE INTEGRATION FEATURES.
      - (It is now necessarry to log-in into WinXP)
      - Proceed with the installation as normal. When asked to attache the USB dongle, use the USB menu to "attach" the USB devices which is the dongle (HASB 4 USB or something similar)
      - Done.

Whenever starting the software, make sure that you DISABLE INTEGRATION FEATURES. It seems, that the dongle only works if they are disabled. Once the Bernina Software has started (and the donlge is accepted) you may actually turn the integration features on again, if you wish.

I'm now happily digitizing on my Win7 laptop with the WinXP machine running "inside".
      (And it only took me 3 years to find out how to do it. Luckily, our "old" laptop didn't die completly in the meantime...)
      ~~~ Visit us at http://design.tavernmaker.de ~~~

A Lady of Good Heart
      is having a great time picking
      flowers off my machine!

I am:
      Amused

Thanks so much for your post, B&M! I found the same problem with my software and ended up running a virtual machine on Win7. The only annoying thing that I have found so far is that it is rather slow, but I suppose one can live with "slow" rather than living with being "poor" !

Quiet Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Default software problem Bernina 180e V3 where to start

Hi, this is my first post and I am not computer savy, I have recently pulled out my Bernina 180e, after having kids, I now have a place to sew. My problem is where do I start after having my laptop stolen. I have a Bernina 180E with V4 CPS, artlink V3, Designer plus V3 with dongle, what would you suggest I buy? Newer laptop with windows 7 or an older computer with windows 2000. Where do I start? My 180 only has 53 hours on it.
      Quote Originally Posted by B&M View Post
      Hi all,
      we are using the Bernina Embroidery Software V4 (BES V4) which we've (luckily!) bought rather cheaply second hand in 2008. (It comes with a USB dongle.). Then, after M$ stopped supporting Windows XP we had huge troubles getting it to work and were praying every day that our old laptop wouldn't die on us...
      Anyway, in the manwhile we were trying to find other solutions - and buying the newer Vista/Win7 supported version was not an option due to cost - and I've made several not-successful attempts. However, I've finally found a working solution and wanted to share it here, in case there are similar problems out there.

The problem
      BES V4 comes with with an Aladin HASP 4 USB security dongle, which is not properly supported under Win7 or Vista. (I think the actual BES V4 software would be compatible, but it requires the dongle and that one isn't working at all.)

The "maybe" solution (1)
      While it is no longer possible to buy WinXP laptops (or even new WinXP OS installer disks), one may still install his/her "old" WinXP on an old laptop and run with it. As we don't have any "spare" laptops laying around, that wasn't an option for us

The "maybe" solution (2)
      Alternatively, newer computers (with more CPUs and RAM) allow to install so called "virtual machines" which are basically a "computer in a computer". So while you're for example running Win7, you can open this program and run "a virtual" computer within a window. One can install any operating system (Linux, WinXP, Vista...) on such a virtual machine. Therefore, one can install a WinXP virtual machine on Win7 or Vista and be happy with it. (However, one still needs a valid WinXP installation disk!)
      I've Oracle's "Virtual Box" software, which comes for free and is generally very good. I really recommand it.
      However, despite several attempts, I failed getting the Bernina Software and USB dongle working properly on my Vista system :c((
      I still think it should be possible, and I've managed to get it working on a Win7 system (with some difficulties), so there is still hope.

The solution
      Microsoft has its own "virtual machine", which one can get for free, but only for the professional version of Vista/Win7. On Win7, one can get what Microsoft calls "XPmode", which is nothing else than a virtual machine with a fully licensed WinXP version "inside". (Hence, one doesn't need to have XP installer disks separately.) In this "XPmode" old software can be installed (under XP) and appears like a "normal" program within Win7. This is generally a good and easy thing, but it did not work for the Bernina Software (again because of the USB dongle). However, one can also start WinXP as a virtual machine, and after some trial&error and a very useful forum comment (which I'm grateful for, but have lost the reference...) I finally got it to work:

The trick is:
      - START WinXP as virtual machine. (Having the USB dongle attached. You may ignore that Win7/Vista doesn't find a proper driver for it...)
      - When in WinXP go to the TOOLS menu of the VirutalMachine and DISABLE INTEGRATION FEATURES.
      - (It is now necessarry to log-in into WinXP)
      - Proceed with the installation as normal. When asked to attache the USB dongle, use the USB menu to "attach" the USB devices which is the dongle (HASB 4 USB or something similar)
      - Done.

Whenever starting the software, make sure that you DISABLE INTEGRATION FEATURES. It seems, that the dongle only works if they are disabled. Once the Bernina Software has started (and the donlge is accepted) you may actually turn the integration features on again, if you wish.

I'm now happily digitizing on my Win7 laptop with the WinXP machine running "inside".
      (And it only took me 3 years to find out how to do it. Luckily, our "old" laptop didn't die completly in the meantime...)

Quiet Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

I also forgot to add that I have a magic box v3.6.2 also, so do I need a new computer with windows 7 or older machine with windows 2000? Also my designer plus V3 is not a usb, it is like a 6 pin round, but i also have a usb adapter for the 6 pin.

A Lady of Good Heart
      is having a great time picking
      flowers off my machine!

I am:
      Amused

I would suggest you follow the virtual machine path on a Windows 7 machine. The Artista was manufactured in the days of Windows 3, but does run on Windows XP.

Quiet Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Thank you for input!

Thread Information