• Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Help needed, advice wanted!

Quiet Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Default Help needed, advice wanted!

I am brand spanking new to this... just opened my Brother PE500...and, I'm lost. I don't have embroidery software, so any suggestions would be helpful. Second, I jumped the gun and downloaded some really cute designs and fonts and I can't use them. I want to do some basic embroidery and simple applique , nothing too fancy as my machine only goes to 4x4. I need step by step instructions on how to get my files from the .zip files to the new software then to my machine so I can use them....

Y'all ready to boot me off the island yet?
      Thanks!!

The mirror lies; actually, I'm young and GORGEOUS!
      is still away with the fairies

I am:
      Friendly

Welcome to the home of the SiCK , mbwalls - and don't panic! We all were 'brand spanking new' once!
      If your files are zipped then you will need an unzipping program to open them up - there are several available for free.
      I usually use jzip,
      http://www.jzip.com/
      but when that fails I use izarc
      http://www.izarc.org/
      When you have opened the zip, you will need a program that will view and convert your files so that you can see what you've got and save them in an orderly fashion.
      Two such programs are these :-
      http://www.wingsxp.com/index.php/my_editor/

http://www.wilcom.com.au/PRODUCTS.aspx/TrueSizer.aspx

both are free and safe to download, and both are useful. - there are many other programs that will do the job, some cost more than others and will have other benefits, but start with a free one.
      I use MyEditor as my default program but find that some PES files will not open correctly so I tend to download HUS format and then 'save as' PES to the folder on my computer that I want to keep it.
      Here are the instructions for using 'MyEditor' :-
      When you see the download link, click on it and you should get a box with the option to 'open with' or 'save file' - if you have chosen my editor as your default file it will already be in the 'open with' box, other wise you will have to select which program to use, and then click OK and the program will open with the view of the design. Click 'File' in the top left-hand corner and you will get the options - choose 'save as' and choose where you want to save it. (you can add information to the file name - the name of the site you got it from is useful, and you could also include a description such as 'flower' or 'dog' if the file name is not clear enough) Below that is 'Save as type' - you need to change this from the default 'eXPeriece(ngs)' to the format your machine requires - Brother machines use PES once you have done this, click 'save' and you will get the box 'Select macr to use' - you do not need to change anything, just click 'OK' and you will get a box telling you how many stitches - click 'OK' again, and that should be all there is to it.

Once you have installed Truesizer, click on the Truesizer icon to open the program.
      The screen will open with an advert window in the middle that you need to click 'close'
      In the top left-hand side click 'file' and then 'open'
      You will get a box with.... 'Look in : ' .... 'File name: ' .... 'File type: '
      Change the 'File type' to 'All Files'
      Select the place to 'Look in' (your ROM drive letter or 'Desk Top' or where ever you have the design.)
      In the window you will see all the files in that area listed, and if you click on an embroidery file you will see a preview of it in the right-hand side (if you have the 'preview' box ticked)
      The file name will now be in the box and you can click 'open'. - you will get a message saying that it isn't a 'native EMB design' - just click 'OK' . and the design will show in the full grid area.
      If you want to put the design into a new place on your computer (or into your embroidery machine if it can be connected via USB) :-
      Click 'File' and select 'Save as'
      You will get a box with ... 'Save in' ... ''File name' ... 'Save as type'
      You need to change the 'Save as type' to the format you need (PES)
      and change the 'Save in' to your chosen destination.
      Click 'Save' and you will get an information box telling you the format and hoop size - just click 'OK'
      That should be all that you need to do.

To transfer the designs to your machine simply open the design in your computer and then 'save' to a thumb drive (only put the designs that you want to use, as the fewer designs your machine needs to wade through, the faster it will read them. )
      If you have a USB cable to your machine it is even easier - open the window for the machine and drag and drop the design into it. (remember that your machine will not 'see' any design that is too large for it.)
      Last edited by motoandnutty; April 5th, 2013 at 04:51 PM.

Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

great info, I will print this out thanks again!!

Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Ok so i can download designs to my computer and then on a usb then to my machine no problem there. The only thing i have a problem with is viewing the pic of the design on my computer, Ihave tried several of the sites and downloaded them but would not work, my computer does not reconize them??

The mirror lies; actually, I'm young and GORGEOUS!
      is still away with the fairies

I am:
      Friendly

To get the MyEditor program, you need to use the link in post #2 to get to the Wings site, and you need to Register (click the :- Please click here to register ) and enter the details marked with an asterix. They will send an email with instructions and a link to download the program (I found mine in the Spam folder of my email)
      Once you have installed the program you should be able to use it to view your embroidery files (and there is an option in the view to see a 'Preview 3D' representation, which is a guide of how the design should stitch out.)

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is working on finishing WIPs

I am:
      Happy

Just another example of the friendliness of the people on this site! If it wasn't for this site I don't think I would know how to do much with my embroidery machine!

Quiet Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Default Help with my editor

I downloaded the myeditor but I can't load more than 1 letter. What am I not doing?

Quote Originally Posted by motoandnutty View Post
      Welcome to the home of the SiCK , mbwalls - and don't panic! We all were 'brand spanking new' once!
      If your files are zipped then you will need an unzipping program to open them up - there are several available for free.
      I usually use jzip,
      http://www.jzip.com/
      but when that fails I use izarc
      http://www.izarc.org/
      When you have opened the zip, you will need a program that will view and convert your files so that you can see what you've got and save them in an orderly fashion.
      Two such programs are these :-
      http://www.wingsxp.com/index.php/my_editor/

http://www.wilcom.com.au/PRODUCTS.aspx/TrueSizer.aspx

both are free and safe to download, and both are useful. - there are many other programs that will do the job, some cost more than others and will have other benefits, but start with a free one.
      I use MyEditor as my default program but find that some PES files will not open correctly so I tend to download HUS format and then 'save as' PES to the folder on my computer that I want to keep it.
      Here are the instructions for using 'MyEditor' :-
      When you see the download link, click on it and you should get a box with the option to 'open with' or 'save file' - if you have chosen my editor as your default file it will already be in the 'open with' box, other wise you will have to select which program to use, and then click OK and the program will open with the view of the design. Click 'File' in the top left-hand corner and you will get the options - choose 'save as' and choose where you want to save it. (you can add information to the file name - the name of the site you got it from is useful, and you could also include a description such as 'flower' or 'dog' if the file name is not clear enough) Below that is 'Save as type' - you need to change this from the default 'eXPeriece(ngs)' to the format your machine requires - Brother machines use PES once you have done this, click 'save' and you will get the box 'Select macr to use' - you do not need to change anything, just click 'OK' and you will get a box telling you how many stitches - click 'OK' again, and that should be all there is to it.

Once you have installed Truesizer, click on the Truesizer icon to open the program.
      The screen will open with an advert window in the middle that you need to click 'close'
      In the top left-hand side click 'file' and then 'open'
      You will get a box with.... 'Look in : ' .... 'File name: ' .... 'File type: '
      Change the 'File type' to 'All Files'
      Select the place to 'Look in' (your ROM drive letter or 'Desk Top' or where ever you have the design.)
      In the window you will see all the files in that area listed, and if you click on an embroidery file you will see a preview of it in the right-hand side (if you have the 'preview' box ticked)
      The file name will now be in the box and you can click 'open'. - you will get a message saying that it isn't a 'native EMB design' - just click 'OK' . and the design will show in the full grid area.
      If you want to put the design into a new place on your computer (or into your embroidery machine if it can be connected via USB) :-
      Click 'File' and select 'Save as'
      You will get a box with ... 'Save in' ... ''File name' ... 'Save as type'
      You need to change the 'Save as type' to the format you need (PES)
      and change the 'Save in' to your chosen destination.
      Click 'Save' and you will get an information box telling you the format and hoop size - just click 'OK'
      That should be all that you need to do.

To transfer the designs to your machine simply open the design in your computer and then 'save' to a thumb drive (only put the designs that you want to use, as the fewer designs your machine needs to wade through, the faster it will read them. )
      If you have a USB cable to your machine it is even easier - open the window for the machine and drag and drop the design into it. (remember that your machine will not 'see' any design that is too large for it.)

'Tis love we get when love we bring
      is wishing summer was still here.

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by exie View Post
      I downloaded the myeditor but I can't load more than 1 letter. What am I not doing?
      Exie, first off welcome to Designs by Sick Forum. Its so nice to meet you. Unfortunately, you are not doing anything wrong. MyEditor only opens up one letter/design at a time.
      A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
      http://thebreastcancersite.greatergo...igin=dbsFooter CLICK DAILY & Click for the earth http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

Quiet Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Default Suggestions?

Any suggestions on a program that will do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shastasmom View Post
      Exie, first off welcome to Designs by Sick Forum. Its so nice to meet you. Unfortunately, you are not doing anything wrong. MyEditor only opens up one letter/design at a time.

Thread Information