• Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Backgrounds for designs

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is working on finishing WIPs

I am:
      Happy

Default Backgrounds for designs

I wasn't sure where to post this, but would like to suggest that designs be sewn on solid fabrics. Sometimes it is difficult to see the design when it is sewn on patterned fabrics. I know my sight isn't as good as it used to be, and solid fabrics would make a big difference to me, and maybe some others.

I don't intend for this to be a complaint, I just wanted to make the suggestion so some older eyes could see the designs better.

A Lady of Good Heart
      is having a great time picking
      flowers off my machine!

I am:
      Amused

That is exactly why I always use solids, nonnadonna. I am not even fond of using prints as a lining...

A good neighbor!
      is the seamstress for the band
      (in my dreams....)

I am:
      Shy

I use mono prints (white on white, creams on cream) and find it adds an additional but subtle texture and dimension to the project. Sometimes a solid is too stark or crisp. Depends on the look you desire.

Lifeblood of the Forums

I am:
      Happy

Thanks for the comments, Sonia and Sharon. I was actually talking about the designs on the DBS site. Because I do applique quilting I have learned that the solid or tone on tone work better as a background. Some of the designs on the site are difficult for me to see clearly because they are on a printed fabric. I'm glad we agree on the subject.

Forum Friend
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Here are some of the ways that I circumvent this problem ...

Look at the Stitch Charts, which often do have a plain background. On Sick, clicking on an individual chart zooms the picture, making it even easier to see. Unfortunately, that option is not available at all sites.

Changing your computer screen's brightness/contrast settings may help.

Zooming in/out helps me see pictures of designs better, both here and on other sites ...

• On Macs this can be accomplished by several methods:

1. In browsers, use the key combination <command>= to zoom in and <command>- to zoom out.
      2. You can use the menu bar's View->Zoom options … Safari, Google Chrome & Opera: View->Zoom in and View->Zoom out; FireFox: View->Zoom->Zoom in and View->Zoom->Zoom out.
      3. Add Zoom icons to your browser's toolbar … Safari: right-mouse clicking anywhere on the tool bar and selecting "Customize Toolbar…". Drag the "Zoom" icons to your dollar and click "Done". You can then click the large "A" icon to zoom in and the smaller "A" icon to zoom out; Firefox: "Customize…" -> +/- icons; Google Chrome & Opera: AFAIK, not possible.
      4. You can make the entire screen zoom by turning on Accessibility's "Zoom" option in Apple -> System Preferences -> Accessibility. The default key combinations are <option><command>= to zoom in and <option><command>- to zoom out. When zoomed in, move the cursor to the screen edge to move in that direction (there is an accessibility->Zoom option to change the way this works.)

• On MS Windows 7 (caveat: I don't use MS Windows very much, so I don't have as many details) ...
        1. In IE (Internet Explorer), use the key combination <Ctrl>+ to zoom in and <Ctrl>- to zoom out.
        2. In IE, Use Tools->Zoom to select a variety of zoom options, which also include zooming by set percentages and custom percentages.
        3. In IE, Use View->Toolbars->Command Bar; right click on Command bar->Customize->Add or remove commands; add "Text Size". You can then click on that button to select Largest, Larger, Medium, Smaller or Smallest.
        4. Use Window's Magnifier app: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...n-on-magnifier

I hope that helps some.
      Last edited by countryone77; February 27th, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
      Bev in TX

Lifeblood of the Forums

I am:
      Happy

Bev, thanks for the info. I hadn't looked at the stitch charts on SICK, and I guess I should have. I had looked at some on another site and they were so small I couldn't even read the print! I really appreciate the time you took to help me out.

Forum Friend
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Isn't Sick is a great site? You can see actual stitch outs of all of the designs, as well as good stitch charts . And if something is still a bit difficult to see, I use zoom-in to see things more clearly.

Sad to say, but on some sites it is impossible to clearly see what you are getting before you purchase a design. Such sites provide tiny, low resolution pictures and often don't allow you to download stitch charts until after you have purchased a design. They may do this for a variety of reasons, such as cutting down on file space usage, trying to stop artwork theft, not considering how using such pictures can detrimentally affect their business, etc. OTOH, there are many good sites, such as Sick, which have good pictures and stitch charts, and allow you to download the stitch charts before you purchase designs. I tend to make my purchases from the latter, as I refuse to purchase something when I can't tell what I'm getting ahead of time.
      Bev in TX

A Lady of Good Heart
      is having a great time picking
      flowers off my machine!

I am:
      Amused

I am one of those that don't have stitch charts for my designs - I honestly don't see the need for it. Almost all of my designs are "colour of choice"...

Forum Friend
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
      I am one of those that don't have stitch charts for my designs - I honestly don't see the need for it. Almost all of my designs are "colour of choice"...
      Each to their own, which makes for an interesting world .

I find the stitch charts useful for several reasons ...

• As noted earlier, sometimes design pictures are not clear as I like, while the stitch charts are.

• Often a stitch file's colors are totally whacky, due to color differences between thread catalogs. Sometimes it is so weird that it is difficult to actually see the design.
      • Some designs are only available in DST format, without any color information.
      • I have changed colors for almost all of designs that I have stitched out, but I still find it useful to see the original colors, such as to what kind of shading was done, etc.
      • I have a Mac. Until I got StitchBuddy I had to start MS Windows to view stitch files. It was much easier to download stitch charts (PDF, etc), which I could easily look at without starting Windows with its overhead.
      • StitchBuddy only lets me load one design at a time, so I often use its built-in StitchBuddy-QL (Quick Look) and StitchBuddy-MD (Meta Data for Spotlight) options for looking at stitch files via Finder (OS X equivalent of Windows Explorer). However, StitchBuddy doesn't handle all design file formats, so I often still find myself using stitch charts.
      • I can add comments to stitch charts via Adobe Reader for PDF files and OS X's Preview for graphic files. This helps me save all sorts of ideas right on the stitch chart. I do have Embird, which can add comments as meta data, but only on NTFS file systems. I prefer to save my files in a location that is available to both OS X & Windows, which means that I cannot use NTFS. Furthermore, using Embird requires me to start Parallels/Windows, which has a big overhead. While I could save comments in a separate file, it would be another item that I would have to track/save/open when I deal with the designs.
      Last edited by countryone77; March 1st, 2014 at 07:28 PM.
      Bev in TX

Thread Information