• Wtf
  • Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Check In 2017

You know you love my juggling cow.
      is just not sure if I'm coming or
      going

I am:
      Just SiCK

We are sitting on the balcony of our room in Chiang Khong 10 minutes from the Laos border, looking across the Mekong River into Laos.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160448.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	42789. We went for a walk around the town & came across a group of young monks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160452.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	42790
      Are they carrying tablets? All the temples are guarded by these interesting dragons.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160451.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	42791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160453.jpg 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	42792The temples are quite beautiful & very ornate.

At 7am tomorrow morning we cross the border, haven't they heard of sleeping in?

Sharon, enjoy the countdown to your holiday, I find the anticipation as exciting as the trip.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Today we started our travels down the Mekong River. We crossed the friendship bridge into Laos & joined a boat with 25 others this morning. Our traveling companions come from Canada, Britain & France & Germany.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160484.jpg 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	42793This is the boat, very shallow draft as we just pull into the bank to visit sights. There were a few villages along the river,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160480.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	42794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160483.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	42795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160487.jpg 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	42796 And I'll have to start another post to post the last photos.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

And there was lots of fishingAttachment 42797, cattle grazingAttachment 42798, & women collecting water weed to dry & eatAttachment 42799. There were also a lot of cargo boats which also served as a house boat for the owner & family.Attachment 42800.

'Tis love we get when love we bring
      is wishing summer was still here.

I am:
      Happy

Penny, love following your latest trip. However unable to look at pic in your latest post. Get invalid error.
      A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
      Click daily for both https://thebreastcancersite.greatergood.com and http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is Learning as much as I can
      before I forget it all

I am:
      Bemused

Quite a lot of noise coming from Cyrildene - Home of the Chinese - their turn to celebrate Chinese New Year - poor dogs are going crazy - and its not even dark yet ..
      Jack's been out and about today - Putting up jumps and squashing mole hills too cute -
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16427464_10158148077100082_9166968863082143415_n.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	42802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16508800_10158148077150082_2836044346637815857_n.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	42801  

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

I'll try & post the pics againClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160469.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	42815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160470.jpg 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	42816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160474.jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	42817 Last night we stayed in a delightful lodge on the side of the Mekong so we could experience village life. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160489.jpg 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	42818Here are the thatched cottages, no electricity, warmish shower water with very little pressure & of course no wifi.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

At the lodge yesterday I ploughed a rice paddy with a buffalo,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2050160.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	42819planted some rice seedlings,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2050168.JPG 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	42820 harvested some rice with a hand sythe.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2050171.JPG 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	42821Then we went into the village & i pounded the rice with a stick to dehusk the rice.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2060180.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	42822It was a very interesting experience & I now understand why each rice paddy is so small & why their production is quite low per acre.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

After my farming exploits, Henk went fishing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2050172.JPG 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	42823Yesterday afternoon we travelled by boat down the Mekong River to Luang Prabang, calling into the Buddah cave on the way. Thousands of Buddahs are kept in the cave & people living nearby & people travelling on the river go there to pray.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2060192.JPG 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	42824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160484.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	42825This is the boat we traveled on.

Today we visited the royal palace museum which showed how the last 3 generations of Lao royals lived. then we visited 5 buddist shrines. This was possibly the most impressive.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160530.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	42826Interestingly most of the shrines had the 2 main Hindu gods Vishnu & Shiva represented on their doors.

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Happy

Hi every one. I enjoy looking at vacation pics and Jack.
      I have been spending a few days with son and daughter in law to help get their house ready for the little one, due in 2 days! Their house is very small and it's really hard to fins a place for everything. This afternoon son and I put up shelving systems in the laundry room. I had so much fun working with him.
      Hubby is out of town again, and the tax season is crazy already. Software not working, etc. Tomorrow I do outreach and then I have the next day to myself.
      I hope you all are having a wonderful day!

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Today learned about the different ethnic groups in Laos, then we went to a waterfallClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160563.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	42827. Next was a visit to the bear rescue sanctuary. These bears were rescued from smugglers trying to take them to China for use in Chinese medicine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160555.jpg 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	428282 ethnic villages were next on the agenda Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160544.jpg 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	42829and on the way home came across a truck that had run off the road earlier in the day being pulled our of the ravine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160575.jpg 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	42830Quite a crowd gathered as the road was impassable while the retrieval progressed. Considering the equipment they had, they did very well to get the 5 ton truck out in half an hour.

I love the photos of Jack Lizsam.

The best person I can be, thru both happiness and grief
      is in need of a vacation

I am:
      Tired

Thanks for sharing your trip. Wish I could go on a similar adventure but challenged both physically and financially, so will just enjoy your pictures.

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is Learning as much as I can
      before I forget it all

I am:
      Bemused

weather a lot cooler today - Penny love following your adventures - would love to do a trip like that one day - here is South africa we have a serious problem with poachers killing everything and anything for the sake of Chinese medicine - - - Rhino's for the Horn - which is only dried hair - Donkeys being slaughtered for their Hides thousands - Lions for the feet and claws - who knows why just to name a few
      Jack is full of beans - loves water especially muddy puddles -had to share these that kerry sent yesterday
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16509006_10158163223770082_7825173386449063111_n.jpg 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	42831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16640767_10158163221430082_6825794849202161914_n.jpg 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	42832  

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Love the photos of Jack , Lizsam.

Thank you everyone for your comments, I wish we could all enjoy this trip together, it is just mindblowing.

Today we went to the elephant rescue village. Elephants that were used for logging are now living there & are used for transporting tourists. Weights that they carry are strictly enforced & they only work 2 hours per day. We rode one through the forest for 2 hours.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2090291.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	42835then thanked her with bananasClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P2090304.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	42836After a picnic lunch we met a laotian langur, sorry my photo is terrible, but please google them as they are so cute. There were also some young elephants there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2090282.JPG 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	42837They were real cuties.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Yesterday we were driven from Luang Phrbang to Phonesavanh, a 7 hour drive. the roads are very winding & in places very rough. The driver rarely went above 40k/h. Today we visited the plain of JarsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160601.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	42838, 2000 year old carved stone jars. They are thought to have been burial jars. Interestingly there is an Australian archeological team surveying the site. They have found that the jars were made in a quarry about 7 km from the burial site & were moved to their final place, they feel using elephants. Unfortunately bombs during the secret war (1964-75) destroyed a lot of jars but a lot are still in tact. There were bomb craters everywhereClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160600.jpg 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	42839. This is the xray equipment being used to find what is beneath the ground. They have found a few anomalies they are going to dig.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160608.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	42840

Soft hugs to all Site Admin/Moderator
      is Live and love like there is no
      tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

Back in the Land of the living. The Lurgy took it's toll, I needed to rest and listen to my body. The last couple of days is the best I have felt in nearly seven weeks. it is caused by an adenovirus, so having a flu vaccination does not help., it is neither a cold or flu. very nasty and a lot of people have been affected by it. No medication helps, so I did it my way. The best bit is, Brian had a version of it for about a week, managed to shake it because I made him rest and keep hydrated.

Penny You holiday looks so interesting.

Jack will have plenty of puddles to jump in, the wether we are experiencing over here.

Sharon so good to see you back. Be selfish...everyone will appreciate you more. I am with you, I would not remortgage the house to pay off anyone's bill's. He did it, he ran the bill's up, he now works to get them paid. I am glad your grandson is with his Dad.

My machine is in shock. I haven't had the energy to turn it on, let alone concentrate on anything. Hopefully now I have turned the corner i will be feeling more like doing things.
      Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Sorry to hear you have been feeling the worse for wear Phillipa.

The holiday continues, I got Lao belly so had to find a pharmacy & get the antibiotics that deal with it. Of course I couldn't miss out on anything, so was totally exhausted by the end of the day. So I have a few days to catch up on. The last thing we did in Luang Prabang was a cooking class. we made a spicy tomato dipping sauce, steamed fish ( I made steamed minced seasoned chicken) in banana leaves, chicken stuffed lemon grass & sticky rice pudding. We cooked everything over a Lao fireplace.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2070237.JPG 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	42841This is the fireplace grilling the eggplant as part of the dipping sauce.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2070241.JPG 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	42842This was our attempt at stuffing lemon grass, however it looked much better after it was cooked.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2070246.JPG 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	42843 and tasted delicious.

tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

Oh Penny, at least you got the belly bug cleared. Love the cooking classes. it's great to learn something new and know it is authentic.

i am feeling much better today, after a good night's sleep. less coughing and my lungs are less congested. Good old tea tree oil and home made rock and rye.

The sun is shining today, still very cold. I have two cats sitting n the window sill with the sun coming in through the double glazed window. the cats know the best spots to get warm.

'Tis love we get when love we bring
      is wishing summer was still here.

I am:
      Happy

Phillipa, glad to hear you are on the mend.

Penny, glad your stomach problems are getting under control. No fun being sick, especially when one is on holiday. Love the pics you keep posting about your holiday, as I know I will never get to take any of your exciting holidays. Both you and Henk are so adventurous willing to try out everything.

Lizsam, Jack is so cute. Love watching him grow up.
      A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
      Click daily for both https://thebreastcancersite.greatergood.com and http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is working on finishing WIPs

I am:
      Happy

Penny I am enjoying your pictures and comments as usual. I've always wanted to travel but haven't had the opportunity myself so am enjoying the world thru your eyes.

Phillipa I am glad you are feeling better. There has been lots of upper respiratory problems in our area; people are down for a month or more and then many still have a horrible cough. I'm glad your self-medications have worked much sooner than that!

I'm finishing up a quilt top that I'm making for someone at a local abuse shelter. Several friends help the ladies there to do some sewing once a week. If the tops are already made they are able to sandwich them, turn them, and tie them. They had a bunch of pre-cut squares given to them and since the ladies have problems sewing them together several of us were asked to make tops for them to finish. I ended up with 4 inch squares so have had lots of sewing to do, but have all the rows made for a top slightly over a meter wide and almost 1 1/2 meters long. I have several of the rows sewn together so hope to get it finished in the next couple days as I'll be gone part of each day.

tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

I coughed last night for Britain, once I had finished hacking, I steamed my head and breathed the tea tree oil and steam down to my lungs. I then settled down slept until 5.45am. it's been over six weeks to get it to this stage. I am feeling fine apart from the cough and the sweating at night. I just might turn my machine on today and see if i can get another block of the Night before Christmas done. Not to have used my machine for nearly three weeks is a first for me. I wish people would cover their mouths when they cough. I know i got infected on new years Eve with that kid coughing his germs all over the place, while I was out shopping, I wanted to tell the kid to catch the cough in a tissue or hankie, but thought better of it.

Dianna had her knee replacement surgery done yesterday. I was supposed to be over there to look after her; gosh, looking after myself has been a task and then if i gave her this lurgy would be nasty.

One local council up north, planted trees in a football field. idiots...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-38955586

I hope they can repair that dam in California, something went wrong. I don't think I would like the government agency or contractors to build a dam for me. If I lived there I would certainly be asking some questions. Can you imagine your fabric stash, your threads, not to mention your machines, disappearing under a wall of water (I know I am being selfish think of embroidery).

The Sun is out again today, the cats are back in the window, so all can't be bad in my little corner of the world.
      Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

Thread Information