• Wtf
  • Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Check In 2017

You know you love my juggling cow.
      is just not sure if I'm coming or
      going

I am:
      Just SiCK

We've had 2 long days of being driven through the countryside to get to the capital Vientiene. It is a city of 600,000 with very narrow roads & plenty of traffic congestion. The farmers in the mountains slash new areas of forest & burn it about this time of year, & the air is filled with smoke.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2120344.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	42844 We visited a limestone caveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P2130354.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	42845where people hid to escape the US bombing during the secret war. This cave was 3 km long & held all the people from a large town. We also stopped to look at a local village market.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2120339.JPG 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	42846 every little village has food stalls lining the road.

Glad you are slowly improving Phillipa.Thank you Shastasmom & Nonnadonna for your comments.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

It has been a most interesting day in Vientiane, the capital of Laos. We visited quite a few Buddhist temples. The paintings inside & the external decorations we quite beautiful.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150394.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	42847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150405.JPG 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	42848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150407.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	42849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150400.JPG 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	42850 A lot of gold & red are used in the decorations.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Then we visited the triumphal arch which celebrated their freedom from French colonialism,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150412.JPG 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	42851 The ceiling of the inside of the arch has the story of Buddha painted on itAttachment 42852. We then went to a Lao disabled womens development centre where disabled girls & women are taught to weave, sew clothes, make pottery Lao ovens, & recycle paper into placemats, christmas decorations, tissue box covers & many other salable items.Attachment 42853Attachment 42854Attachment 42855 & this is the kiln the pots are fired in.Attachment 42856

Soft hugs to all Site Admin/Moderator
      is Live and love like there is no
      tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

Penny, the photographs are wonderful. I had forgotten about the Reclining Buddha, such wonderful sights.
      Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Tired

Phillipa, I hope you get back your strength really fast!

We are grandparents second time around. The little boy came into this world at 9 lbs 6 oz and 21 1/2 inches. Our hospital just had a major remodel of the maternity ward. They no longer have a nursery, the baby stays in the mom's room at all times and the mom and dad do all the care. I do not think this new way is as good as the old way. DIL went home yesterday so tired, son kept the baby with him and just took the little one to mom at feeding times. Feeding times are every 2 hours! So she gets at most an hour a sleep at a time. And of course, no blankets are allowed. Little one is not sleeping very well. I told my son that at this age a receiving blanket should not hurt. I suggested they wrap him up and see if that would help him sleep better. No wonder new parents complain about lack of sleep!

My newest embroidery machine seized up last week. And my other is so loud hubby is complaining. I told him, if I were to receive a new embroidery machine for a gift, I would not take it back. Big hint for a birthday gift! I have been digitizing Pokemon characters and made baby a quilt and am trying to get son#3 a sofa quilt done for his bd tomorrow.

I hope you all are doing good, feeling better.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

These are the photos that didn't upload yesterday. The ceiling of the triumphal arch,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150414.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	42864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150379.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	42865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150381.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	42866This little one could only use one hand, the other was permanently crippled up in the position you see.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

I think I might have been trying to upload too many photos at once. Here are the Lao stoves & the wood kiln they fire them in.Attachment 42868Attachment 42867At the end of the day we had a delicious meal at very nice eatery overlooking the Mekong River at sunset.Attachment 42871Attachment 42869

tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

it is amazing how time change with baby care. I still think a baby should be wrapped, just to give it the feeling of security. Back in the past, the babies were never separated from their mum's then it became the fad to have the babies separated, then it swung back to rooming in. Back in the past it was the extended family who helped with the newborn. These days it is just Mum and Dad, so the swing back to the past is not completed. of course the rich families had wet nurses. that said, congratulations Nanna.

Love the photos that got uploaded Penny.
      Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150383.JPG 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	42874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150384.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	42875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2140357.JPG 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	42872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2140359.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	42873the photos that didn't upload last time They were showing on the post when I submitted it, don't know what happened.

'Tis love we get when love we bring
      is wishing summer was still here.

I am:
      Happy

Elen, Have fun spoiling your newest grand baby.
      Penny, enjoying your pics and your holiday. Please keep posting.
      Phillipa, don't over do it in getting back to life.
      A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
      Click daily for both https://thebreastcancersite.greatergood.com and http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Tired

I am researching embroidery machines - I am thinking about the Janome MC500E. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want an embroidery only machine, with editing options built into the machine and this one has multiple sizes. I also want one that will stitch out nicer. My Brother PE780D has been nothing but problems since I bought it. Last week it started making noise and then when I was trying to finish the block, it seized up. I was forced to use my old Janome 200E to finish the quilt I made for son's birthday. I had to finish one of the blocks by hand even.
      Once again I am told the 780 is an entry level machine not meant to be used as much as I sew. To prove his point, the shop owner checked my stitches, just over 2 million, He wanted to show me I was using it too much. Well I have had the machine 2 years so he had to back track and admit it was not to many stitches. He did say that the bushing in the 780 is low quality and designs will not stitch out nicely after it gets warm. Well I learned that myself. The sales people keep trying to sell me Brother machines that cost thousands. They are big - way to big for my limited space. I looked at the baby lock available locally and it is big like the Brothers. I only have one sewing shop locally and all the rest are at least 2 to 3 hours away. So for convenience sake I want to buy local.

I have been slowly cutting out my volunteering and it is so nice to have days to stay home. I actually got my sewing room/nursery cleaned today!

I was released from PT today. My ankle appears much better. I just have to get use to the arthritic issues.

Kids are coming tonight for youngest birthday. Grandbaby will be here too.
      I hope you all have a great day!

'Tis love we get when love we bring
      is wishing summer was still here.

I am:
      Happy

Elen, the babylock machines are made by Brother. I have a Elna eXpressive 830, which is the same machine as the Janome MC500e. I purchased it as I was able to get Elna for about $1,000 less than the Janome. I do like how you can combine designs in the machine and not have to wonder if they are where you want them or not. I don't think I'll ever go back to Brother machines because of being able to combine them. I do love the idea of the different hoops. I did learn to thread the machine, using the built in threader. Since my DH passed away, I haven't really used it, getting his estate settled and doing maintenance on the home that he had neglected (I think he had dementia and I didn't realize it.)
      Thankfully, my son, has been very helpful in the maintenance area and he has even built me some items that I wanted (needed) for my sewing room.) When it gets a little more organized I'll post pics.

You can see what I posted about the machine when I purchased it at http://www.designsbysick.com/forums/...highlight=elna

I don't think you will be disappointed in the MC500e.
      A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
      Click daily for both https://thebreastcancersite.greatergood.com and http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Glad you are enjoying my photos. We also went to the Buddha Park in Vientiane, a collection of large sculptures by a local artist, some Hindu gods,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150361.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	42876 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150368.JPG 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	42877& some Buddhist sculptures.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150374.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	42878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2150375.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	42879

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Today we visited a fish market near one of the dams, & then saw some weaving done on probably the most primitive loom I've seen in use. Two girls were warping up the loomClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160662.jpg 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	42882one was taking puffs on a water pipe every so oftenClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160659.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	42881then we saw another girl using the loom. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160663.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	42883she tensions the loom with her feet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160664.jpg 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	42884She was weaving beads, which are actually Job's Tears grass seeds, into the fabric to make a pattern.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160660.jpg 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	42880  

tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

Penny, your photos are amazing. You cannot compare the Big Banana with these...I love the smoking while you work, or is that weaving?

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Tired

Thanks so much! I want a durable machine as I am so tired of when I take it in the man tells me I use it more than it was built for. And the young sales person there keeps trying to sell me a new machine - well I do not have room for the brother machines as they are so long. And when I bought my first machine he only carried Janomes and he had nothing good to say about brothers. So now that is all that he carries "as that is what women want". I will need to special order the Janome if I want it, so no sale price. I also want an embroidery only machine, so this one pretty much fits what I want.
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shastasmom View Post
      Elen, the babylock machines are made by Brother. I have a Elna eXpressive 830, which is the same machine as the Janome MC500e. I purchased it as I was able to get Elna for about $1,000 less than the Janome. I do like how you can combine designs in the machine and not have to wonder if they are where you want them or not. I don't think I'll ever go back to Brother machines because of being able to combine them. I do love the idea of the different hoops. I did learn to thread the machine, using the built in threader. Since my DH passed away, I haven't really used it, getting his estate settled and doing maintenance on the home that he had neglected (I think he had dementia and I didn't realize it.)
      Thankfully, my son, has been very helpful in the maintenance area and he has even built me some items that I wanted (needed) for my sewing room.) When it gets a little more organized I'll post pics.

You can see what I posted about the machine when I purchased it at http://www.designsbysick.com/forums/...highlight=elna

I don't think you will be disappointed in the MC500e.

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Tired

This quilt found a forever home last night with my youngest son and his wife. (After I got all the wrinkles out of course!)Now I need to get a dragonfly quilt done for daughter this as her birthday is next weekend.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00102.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	42885

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is Learning as much as I can
      before I forget it all

I am:
      Bemused

well hello everyone its saturday morning here - chilly and overcast - tropical Cycone Dineo has come and gone - its over Botswana at the moment downgraded to a tropical storm - spare a thought for the people of Mozambique : 20,000 HOUSES, 105 SCHOOLS, 49 HOSPITALS DESTROYED, 130,000 PEOPLE DISPLACED -The cyclone reached South Africa on Thursday, directly affecting parts of Mpumalanga, KwaZulu-Natal, and Limpopo. Storms are expected to continue until Saturday evening. there was also damage to northern parts of Kruger National Park
      We had some strong winds but not a lot of rain

Jack wants a Digger blankie...I thought of making him an African Animal one but Kerry says for now he just loves diggers any ideas please

he loves boxes this his latest car
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16711754_10158194007225082_1407334221773388612_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	42886  

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Yesterday we visited the island that the french built 12km of railway on to bypass a waterfall & take supplies further up the river to PaksiClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160680.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	42888this is the ramp they built to haul the ships out of the water & onto the train.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160672.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	42887& this is a hydro electricity generator for a villageClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160681.jpg 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	42889. We also saw the irriwaddi dolphins near this island. my photo is pretty dreadful.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160689.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	42890 We were on the Mekong River most of the day in boats that only leaked a little. We saw a few go past with the driver bailing furiously as he drove.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Today we took our luxury yatch to a lovely secluded island on the MekongClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160691.jpg 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	42891and from the beach were transported by chauffer driven convertible(note the umbrella) limo across the beach to the resort Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160701.jpg 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	42893There an enthusiastic welcoming committee greeted usClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160699.jpg 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	42892 and we sat & sipped Lao beer & watched the sunset. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160703.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	42894 it has been a very relaxed day after the last few very busy days.

Thread Information