• Wtf
  • Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Check In 2017

You know you love my juggling cow.
      is just not sure if I'm coming or
      going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Just a few photos I missed during the Laos part of the trip. This was a fishing villages near one of the dams on a tributary of the Mekong.Attachment 42921Attachment 42922this is one of the other villages we went through.They had bamboo rats in cages for sale which our guide told us they eat. They would not let us photograph them as they feared people in other countries would object. I guess they had heard of the animal rights movement.Attachment 42923Attachment 42924 But people have to eat & have to earn enough money to live.

Yes Phillipa this is another great trip.

Soft hugs to all Site Admin/Moderator
      is Live and love like there is no
      tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

Penny, when i was in Vietnam, back in the time....I had a dog sandwich. It was delicious, I had to ask what the meat was, the street vendor said 'woof woof'. I found out later this was normal. I am not surprised about the rats, in some parts of the States they eat road kill. not so long ago they ate squirrels over here. it happened when Brian was a child. How many of us have eaten rabbit?
      Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

Who you callin' Chicken?
      is a registered ol' hen!

I am:
      Friendly

As a child we raised rabbits for the meat and sold the pelts to a local hide and fur dealer. The breeder female was our "pet." Of course, living in the western U.S. we also ate lots of wild game and birds. Have eaten some "mystery" foods in both Japan and China--did know donkey was on the menu and tried the 1000 year-old-egg (YUCK!)--and frog legs in France which DO taste similar to boney chicken.
      Never give up, never surrender.

tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

I think mortadella sausage in Italy was originally made from donkey meat. I would not eat rabbit as a child, but i was tricked by my Nanna, she used to tell me it was chicken; then there are the meals of guinea pig in Peru.

I think Penny and I had our stomachs conditioned by boarding school stodge. I am sure some of those meals were of ingredients of unknown origin.
      Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is working on finishing WIPs

I am:
      Happy

Many school children are convinced they eat "mystery meat" in different forms and combined with other things............. we also used to raise rabbits and eat them and I've eaten squirrel and frog legs. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to eating tho. Our younger son and DIL keep commenting on that fact.

tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

Boarding school food at times was fantastic, at other times, it was strange. I am sure they used the usual meats, chicken, beef and lamb. it was the way it was cooked. You knew what was on the menu by the day of the week. one dessert they made was made from fig rolls ( a type of cookie) and custard, generally lumpy. It was pure stodge, I hated it. The Shepherds pie, I am sure had every leftover in the 'fridge in it, this was generally served on a Monday. Sunday we used to have a traditional roast dinner, but never like what was served at home. I am sure my dislike of puddings stemmed from boarding school, these used to be so heavy and dry. I will try anything new. i have tried to get the Texans to eat roast leg of lamb and lamb chops..they say it tastes strange..they do love my roast vegetables, pavlovas and home made ice cream and of course lamingtons...

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is Learning as much as I can
      before I forget it all

I am:
      Bemused

another tropical storm developing in the Indian Ocean near mauritius - waiting it out to see if it comes our way and dumps more rain on us - poor people in Cape Town having a really bad time with hardly any water - our restrictions have been lifted for now
      Jack no longer wants animals on his quilt now Dinosaurs - i can't even say some of the names lol ...
      oh well change of plan ..at this rate he will be in high school by the time i get it started and finished
      any ideas on simple applique patterns please
      he is starting to speak so nicely and his hair is still not cut ..only half done ...

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Boarding school cured me of eating a lot of things, it's only now I am trying a few things. I ate dog in New Guinea and when we were in Vietnam we were told they stole dogs from their owners to eat as well as catching any they could find on the street. I was served rabbit once but picked it with the first mouthful. I've never accepted an invitation to dinner there again!

Now for some more Cambodian food.CicadaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	cicada 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	42925grasshopperClick image for larger version. 

Name:	grasshoppers 2 .jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	42926scorpion Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scorpion 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	42927silk wormClick image for larger version. 

Name:	silkworm 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	42928tarantulaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	tarantulas 1.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	42929

We are now cruising down the Mekong through Cambodia. We have just arrived in Phnom Penh where the internet is finally working.

tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

Did you try any of the crunchy critters Penny? I have eaten crocodile and alligator and yes, snake, far better than boarding school food. i wonder how much it has improved now? I swear the porridge used to be so thick we could cut it with knife; other times it was so thin you thought it was wall paper paste. Penny we survived it despite the cook's best effort. in my freezer at the moment I have Kangaroo steaks as well Ostrich steaks. brian has no idea at times what i have served him. The crocodile farm in the next village, across the airfield, sells croc meat, Brian thinks it is fish I am serving him. he commented a couple of times the fish tastes of chicken. I say nothing other than to tell him to eat up. I guess a crunchy grasshopper or two wont hurt you.

Oh my goodness Liz, I am sure Jack will get his quilt before he reaches high school. Try googling dinosaur quilts, I did and found some templates for appliques.

I am making bread, the house smells yummy.

'Tis love we get when love we bring
      is wishing summer was still here.

I am:
      Happy

I have eaten rabbit, frog and other wild critters, no problem. I haven't eaten crocodile or snake, but don't think I would have a problem eating those either. BUT, I would have problems eating dog, since I am a dog lover. I also don't think I could eat insects, I don't care how they are prepared or disguised. Just makes me shudder thinking about eating them.
      A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
      Click daily for both https://thebreastcancersite.greatergood.com and http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

Lifeblood of the Forums

I am:
      Happy

Such tasty conversations lately! I guess it is what one is used to and how adventuresome one is. The older I get the less adventuresome I am.

I'm finally working on sewing our grandson's Graduation Quilt. It is going together quite nicely. I'm trying to decide what to do with the back of it, have several ideas so we'll see what happens. Part of it depends on whether I can find some panel sections I saved after making his brother's quilt.

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Happy

Tracy my prayers are with you! Hubby had both knees done the same day. The day after surgery he could already tell a difference. He came home a week after surgery - he was in rehab as I could not help him at home if he had trouble. He finished with his walker 2 weeks after surgery, used his cane for another week and then used it so people would walk around him. We had a nustep and from the day he came home from rehab, he used it twice a day for 20 minutes and did his exercises. Within 2 months he was doing great, walking better than he had in years!

I spent the day sewing diapers. The gals at the craft shop want me to bring some in there. They say they have mom's that come in looking for them. They said if I bring them in they will notify the moms' groups in town.

Well I hope you all are having a good week - I won't comment on the bugs - ick

tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

It's so good read the success stories of the knee replacement surgery and how quickly people respond. Dianna is doing so well, she does her exercises every day, she says the step exercises are the ones she has problems with, because of her balance. She has been compensating for the knees and her back for so long now, but she says it is wonderful to have the new knee.

Raining over here - again. I just need to my get and go, to get up and go. the lurgy has really taken it's toll on my creativity at the moment, I haven't turned my machine for nearly two months. Birthdays start next month so i do have to give myself a nudge in the right direction.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

No I didn't try any crunchy insects, just looked & photographed. We have enjoyed a boat trip across tonle sap, a lake in central Cambodia. There a lot of villages around the lake & taking a snap shot of their lives was very interesting.

Oh dear, I can't seem to upload any photos. The internet is pretty hit & miss & miss & miss, it's dropped out a few times while I've been trying to do this. I'll give the whole idea a miss & upload them tomorrow or the next day, whenever there is wifi again.

tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

We can wait for the photos Penny. I appreciate you sharing with us when you get the opportunity to do so.

Twinkle, Twinkle Pretty Star
      Just not sure

I am:
      Happy

I think I'm about to become a vegetarian. Never know what meat I might get served.

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Happy

So what has everyone been up to? It feels like the forum is not what it use to be. I miss hearing from some of the regulars that are not on much anymore -
      I hope you all are doing ok!

Lifeblood of the Forums

I am:
      Happy

I've been working on grandson's HS graduation quilt. I'm currently sewing the blocks together before I embroider the info I want on the back. I'm also doing an exchange with another on-line group I belong to. Nothing very spectacular, altho I'm pleased with GS's quilt. I was asked to post pictures but haven't partially because I have a "dumb phone" that doesn't take pictures I can do anything with so have to take the picture, transfer it to my computer, and then try to transfer it to this site. I haven't had much success with it. I'll try again when I have the top completed.

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is Learning as much as I can
      before I forget it all

I am:
      Bemused

three days in a row wake ing up at 1am in the morning sweating and a huge migrane - wonder if it my pillows.. dont think so - i never had headaches or migranes
      found a lovely bright piece of dinosaur fabric blues- reds - yellow - and another fairly plain with dino's I like the bright one I can mix in reds and blues and yellows with it
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1608.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	42947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1609.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	42948  

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Hi everyone, I'll try again. Haven't been able to post for quite a while, don't know if it is our internet or what.a temple danceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	apsara dance.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	42949a village danceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	crabs dance.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	42950one of the musical instruments similar to a xylaphoneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260639.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	42951We were treated to a night of Cambodian dancing. there are a lot of projects for disadvantaged youth, often funded by hotels, this was a dance group a hotel sponsored, aimed at giving youth a job, & making sure traditional dance is kept alive.

Thread Information