• Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Daily Check in 2018

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is working on finishing WIPs

I am:
      Happy

Penny, your Craft gathering sounds like fun. I've found that quilters and most crafters are willing to share info with others. The small group I meet with twice a month enjoy showing and telling what we have learned or found to be new and are always willing to help one another. Sadly, many of the ladies are doing little quilting any longer for several reasons. I find it saddest that children of several of the ladies want nothing to do with the quilts that have been made.

Soft hugs to all Site Admin/Moderator
      is Live and love like there is no
      tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

Penny, you are so lucky to have the crafting groups, as Nonnadonna says, the children are not interested. They admire, but don't want them. We have tried to start a knit and natter and group, last all of three weeks, then it became too much for some of them. The other cry was people wanting to learn to sew, no charge, that's fimne, come along and we will help you..not one person turned up yet seven said they would come along and we made the time suitable for them and were providing our machines. bring you pattern and fabric and we will help you with the rest..just oo much for them, it was the same with book exchange that last this Summer and then dwindles to three people, so I closed the cupboard, returned the books to the donors and those who did not want the books returned we donated to a charity shop. A couple of people wanted to learn wreath making, fine if I paid and supplied all the bits and pieces, no they weren't interested when I gave then a list of things they would need to bring, or pay for if they wanted me to supply themm, so I am sitting here with rolls of tulle, hessian by the metres, wire wreath rings and lots of little mini pegs with metres of felt, vinyl, bit s and pieces i have collected over the years. No matter i will make some wreaths up and hang these in my window dor the Winer Wonderland Display and Competition we are having up here on the hill. I am starting to think the younger generatin are not up for a creative challenge. Do they think we arrived on this Earth with needl, thread scissors ready to go? The other problem is they do not teach these n school these days, so not being exposed to DIY crafts as they get older and the ready made stuff on the shop shelves..this is they way they will go. Oh I often wonder if the worst ever happened and they ended up with no electricity, no way to buy anything, what would they do then?

On another note and this is for the ladies in Australia as well the States. My younger Sister Burney Starkey (she of sailing fame) decided after years of living on a yacht, endles soundowners and the lifestyle, time came for WEIGHT LOSS...she found a programme that does not require calorie counting, no exercise and endless vegetables abd balanced protien, catch, the supplements and stuff that goes with it, so she reasoned, giving up the wine and nibbles would pay for the supplements and things. there are no diet pills or other stuff on the programme. She has lost a massive amount of weight and now weighs about 147lbs or 60 odd kilos. She has doen this in about twelve months. if i had not known and passed on the street, I would not have recognised her. So, bot to be outdone by a younger sister, but not prepared to by the supplements (rather spend my money on fabric and thread), i decided with her help and some tweking of my food I started on September 11, and have lost 11.7 kilos in that time , I still have 25kgs to lose and the tracking monitor says i should be at my target weight by February 2019, so since June I have lost over 40lbs. yesterday I went out an bought new red winter coat English size 14 and have had to order some size 14 jeans, as the 16 were slightly too big for me. I have eliminated sugar, chocolate, well the milk chocolate, bread and most cakes. the good thing about this Gutsy provide recipes and the Chocolate mud cake is so yummy. You are can have honey and maple syrup, these ingredients are in the recipes that you can download for free. Oh the other thing eliminated is rice and white potatoes and for the first month no carrots, loads of sugar in those little wonders. Substitute sweet potato and pumpkin, so ladies pumpkin pie of sorts is allowed If rice is needed in a recipe, I rice cauliflower, yes I can still have beloved chilli using my Texan recipe. if you are interested have a look at Burneys Face book page https://www.facebook.com/groups/970449153079726 oh the other thing 3 litres of water every day and the Dino Rawwww drink.
      Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

The best person I can be, thru both happiness and grief
      is in need of a vacation

I am:
      Tired

I could also wish for more interest in crafting round here. The group I was leading at church has gone as I have no one interested in coming.

On a happier note I can say that my youngest daughter has been getting more use out of my embroidery machines and scan'n'cut than I have. Youngest grand daughter wants to learn to sew clothes for her dog and we are trying to find time around her school schedule and my energy. I just get so tired or in pain that I can get very little done.

I have gotten a bit more organized in the sewing room and finding materials for a project is easier. I have decided I have way too many bins of fabric and need to pass some along - just need to find someone who would want it.

I have been fighting pain and struggling with my body. I would love to figure out a solution but have even been released from physical therapy as they felt it was doing no good and I seemed to be getting worse , although they told me to continue the exercises as I could. First Dr told me depression was causing the problems but mental health counselor said no, then on to the PT. Now ???

Lifeblood of the Forums

I am:
      Happy

I am sorry you are having so much pain TurtleOwl. I know it's hard to get anything done. I'm fortunate that my Doctors have worked to alleviate my pain and have been successful for the most part. I see a licensed Massage Therapist on a regular basis and credit her with some of my success. I know others who haven't had as much success tho with anything they have tried tho. I hope you will seek help elsewhere and get to the cause of your pain.

A Lady of Good Heart
      is having a great time picking
      flowers off my machine!

I am:
      Amused

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but what happened, TurtleOwl?

Soft hugs to all Site Admin/Moderator
      is Live and love like there is no
      tomorrow

I am:
      Friendly

I have managed to get the supplies I need to make a scarecrow wreath, visit a florist in town for raffia and foam wreath base, that was expensive, then i look on EBAY and found wire wreath bases, so bought four of those. EBAy again for rolls of tulle as we can't source deco mesh here, marine vinyl? Nope...substitute felt, pipe cleaners, have plenty those for cleaning the machines, no to find my get up and go anf get started. I fear it has got up and gone. No wonder people lose heart with crafting when it so hard to at times to source supplies and then we have to wait for delivery. Never mind i have the heating on in the Conservatory, waiting for daylight, yes it is dark, this is England and Halloween..no we don't do trick or treat...
      Love like there is no tomorrow Life upon the Earth is not a burden to be borne, but a joy to be learned and shared with others

is in need of a vacation

I am:
      Tired

Sonia- Nothing specific happened. I have been fighting pain for many years. A combo of spinal stenosis, arthritis, fibromyalgia(sp?), headaches and possibly something else have kept me struggling. With the opioid uproar my doctor changed meds and I was on a nearly a year journey of treatments, which did nothing or made things worse. I am back on part of what was giving some relief but at a much lower amount so have to choose when to take and when to just struggle. ( Some may think go somewhere else but because of insurance I pretty much have to stay with current doctor unless they refer me.)

I went to buy some raffia to make a scarecrow costume for my brother for Halloween and was shocked at the cost. It was worth making the costume as my 64 year old child had a great time at the church trick or treat/fall festival last Sunday and will wear it again tonight to help son-in-law pass out candy. I was happy to get a project done that I was pleased with. Youngest daughter will be here tomorrow to work on embroidering towels and I am hoping the machine will behave. Last week we had to stop when to thread started bird nesting and I have since given it a good cleaning and new needle. Plan to test it this afternoon.

A Lady of Good Heart
      flowers off my machine!

I am:
      Amused

I am so sorry, TurtleOwl. I can relate to what you are going through. My "relationship" with pain has been going for 17 years. I was told the hip replacement will alleviate a great deal of the back pain, but it didn't. And now I have one leg longer than the other! The surgeon says it is not, it is just muscle deterioration, but after months of physio, I still feel the same. I now stopped the physio and take each day as it comes.

On a more cheerful note, I ordered the wood for the Babylock workstation yesterday. Hopefully it will be ready for collection on Saturday, so I will be working on that for a while.

Does anyone know where I can get free baby patterns? I would like to make some clothes for my granddaughter, but don't have a clue where to start.

'Tis love we get when love we bring
      is wishing summer was still here.

I am:
      Happy

Sonia, I'm not sure what kind of baby patterns you want, but this site has a lot of free patterns, not just for babies, but for everyone and just about everything that can be sewn. https://www.allfreesewing.com/?task=...m=baby+clothes
      A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
      Click daily for both https://thebreastcancersite.greatergood.com and http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

is in need of a vacation

I am:
      Tired

Was not able to get smaller machine adjusted so got out the big one and we got 2 towels done. Daughter is happy and did most of the work, I only had to help with hooping. I will go over the other machine again and then if I can't get it right it will have to go to the doctor.

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Happy

I am so sorry to hear of those who struggle with ongoing pain. After living on pain meds for several years I was taken off them all cold turkey. I now take salmon oil, vitamin D and watch what I do and have a lot less pain. the hardest part is watching the grandson and having to move quick to keep him from injuring himself. For the fibro pain, a theraputic pool works wonders, allows gentle exercise to keep mobility, yet cushions joints.

Daughter was home for several days. Our granddaughter is so adorable when she has a full tummy and well rested, at other times she can really test ones patience. Daughter will be returning to work soon. Hopefully she can find a decent job she can work around his schedule.

Tomorrow is my one extra day off this month, so I will be altering fleece sleepers by putting the zipper in the back and fabric between the legs. Little man undresses himself and takes all his clothes off while he is in bed, including his diaper. And he climbs out of the crib! What a handful.

I hope you all are having a great week.

You know you love my juggling cow.
      is just not sure if I'm coming or
      going

I am:
      Just SiCK

I can't believe it is so long since I posted, life has been a little hectic. With Christmas approaching, I've been sewing for my market stall, went to Sydney last weekend & had a really good day. Now I have to sew lots more.

We had an open day at our craft centre 2 weeks ago. It was the weekend my son came down from Buderim with his partner & her little girl. 2 of us in the patchwork group had a mother daughter project for people to try, it was making a patchwork lavender fish to hang in the wardrobe. Both partner & her daughter made one, daughter was very good at the sewing machine even though it was her first try. When I got home, she wanted to sew a teddy, so I drew up a pattern, cut it out & let her sew. she then chose the biggest googly eyes I had in my jar & I did the hand sewing (using a needle & thread will be her next lesson from me). She took the teddy to bed & cuddled it all night, then the next day took it everywhere we went. Just shows, if you introduce kids to craft early enough they will enjoy it.

It is still very hot & dry here, we've had a little rain, but not enough to help anything grow, it didn't even settle the dust. there is a bush fire north of us that has been burning in very rugged country for over a month now, fire fighters have been working to put it out for all that time but are having a hard time. I feel for the Californians suffering with their bush fires.

Congratulations on your weight loss Phillipa, I may not know you when I next pass you in the street.

A Lady of Good Heart
      flowers off my machine!

I am:
      Amused

Thanks for the website link for the patterns, Shastasmom - I found quite a few I like.

Managing pain is not easy, but I only take medication when I absolutely have to. I found having a shower or a long bath relaxing, which also alleviates the pain. Heat pads work well, but not in summer. We all experience pain differently and what helps for one is not the best for the other, so I just do what I am comfortable with at that particular moment.

I got the panels for the Babylock workstation, after a week of constant arguments about wrong sizes. I actually have 2 sets of the panels I ordered! I started the assembly, but am also helping my son build a growth tunnel. By the time I get back from his house, I am too tired and hot to think of doing something in the workshop for myself. So it is slow going with the workstation, but I would like to have it complete by the weekend. Sometimes I wish I had another pair of hands that could help, but that is not to be.

Congratulations on the weight loss, Phillipa. I found an email in my inbox, sent a long time ago, but I cannot respond. Has your addy changed?

The granddaughter is crawling now and trying to stand. She tries very hard to stand, but the little legs are not up to it yet. She eats very well, especially when Granpa feeds her at the table, sitting on a normal chair.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

Glad you have found something that partly alleviates your pain Sonia. I have arthritis in the right hand & wrist, probably because of heavy farm work done as a child of a farmer. I loved doing it & always wanted to be outside with my father, so I can't complain about the consequences. I too find that heat helps. I was also lucky enough to find a brand of krill oil & glucosomine that helps with the swelling & pain. My very wise doctor told me that fish oil, krill oil & glucosomine can help, try the tablets out in all combinations and brands for a month each & you might find something that helps. what I'm taking now was the third I tried.

I found a box of new towels I bought wholesale some time ago & am embroidering them, hoping to sell them at the markets this Christmas. I sold 2 at my last market last weekend. That gave me a lot of heart as I need to use up all the bits & pieces i"ve bought over the years.

'Tis love we get when love we bring
      is wishing summer was still here.

I am:
      Happy

Sonia, you are welcome, happy to help. I just know that you are going to spoil your granddaughter. How lucky she is to have a grandma who can sew and make beautiful things.
      A smile is a curve that straightens everything out.
      Click daily for both https://thebreastcancersite.greatergood.com and http://www.brotherearth.com/en/top.h...k=BrotherEarth

Lifeblood of the Forums

I am:
      Happy

I'm glad your markets have been going well Penny. A number of years ago I did Craft Shows in our city but never had great success as people here just don't want to pay even the amount of money actually paid for supplies much less anything for one's time. There are several area places dealing with children who love to get lap quilts so I just donate to them. That makes me feel better and I have no special time that I need to get things finished. I don't deal too well with stress any longer.

Sonia I'm glad you have found what works for your pain. I agree that we all deal with pain differently and so different things give relief to each of us.

going

I am:
      Just SiCK

I'm still waiting for my first grandchild Sonia, my son has a partner with a 6yo girl & she seems to enjoy sewing. I gave her a quilt with mermaids appliqued on it for her birthday last year & she loves it. Many of our patchwork group bring their grandchildren to patchwork during the school holidays & they sit & sew. One of the lady's grandson continued to quilt & won best of show in Sydney a few years ago with a quilt he made while he was at university. I think it is up to the grandparents to instill a love of sewing into the younger generation.

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Happy

I have gotten back into the craft shop, trying new things to see what sells. I've also designed jammies daughter and I are going to try to sell on Etsy. Also am making a carseat poncho for when grandson is here. And tax season is very much underway for me. Meetings, training and testing. My last year in a leadership role! I am slowly stopping all volunteering so I can focus on my crafting again. I have so little me time I am resenting those who demand my time.
      I hope you all are looking forward to a wonderful Christmas season with family and friends!

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is Learning as much as I can
      before I forget it all

I am:
      Bemused

well its 14 December and work wise should start slowing down - however have lots of invoicing still to finish - dying to get my machine out of storage -
      finally got the insurance claim in with one day to spare and they paid out then next day - zapped me on my rings and other jewelry as I could not produce valuations as they had been in the safe
      Health wise still have a scan to do - struggling to swallow - and a bit a pain in the jaw and face but nothing i cannot cope with - took some pain pills the other day and went on a trip ....oh boy ..
      Our Jack is growing he was a Shepherd in the play this week and had to take his crook away as he was using is as a weapon ...typical boy
      first night of the show he did not have long trousers on and decided to flash .. Kerry just had to laugh and so did everyone else
      Heat Wave conditions here at the moment - so not very pleasant - till next time

Lifeblood of the Forums

I am:
      Happy

Jack certainly does sound like a typical little boy altho not as little as when you first introduced him to us. I'm sorry you are having trouble swallowing Liz, tho this time of year that would make it easier for me to not gain pounds. I hope you can feel better soon.

Thread Information