• Wtf
  • Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gutterman thread for embroidery

Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Default Gutterman thread for embroidery

I've read comments about not using Coates & Clark sewing thread for embroidery because it has too much lint since it's cotton-wrapped polyester. Would Gutterman sewing thread work since it's 100% polyester? When I see close-up pictures of some of the designs, the threads aren't shiny like they are 100% rayon embroidery thread. Is there a thread made for machine embroidery that is NOT shiny? Thanks.

Active Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Hi TN Girl,

What thread weight are you looking for? Are you wanting 40 wt. thread cotton, like we typically use 40 wt. rayon or polyester for most embroidery designs?

The easiest cotton embroidery thread that I know to get hold of is Madiera's "Cotona" 30 wt. cotton thread, at http://www.thesewphisticatedstitcher.com/cotona.html and other locations. Small spools, 220 yd. They take online and phone purchases.

Also Sulky "Blendables" are the same weight cotton, but in a variegated thread color.

Another source is Coats & Clark Machine Quilt Cotton Thread, available at JoAnn's and at some quilting shops. You have to know the label, as it's difficult to find the weight online. This one IS a 30 wt. cotton thread, as I have purchased in the store and online myself. https://www.joann.com/coats-clark-ma.../prd60393.html . Other threads called cotton quilting thread and looking the same may be different weights, so this one online is the only one I can vouch for. I purchase it for Battenberg lace. If I remember right, it's 1200 yd spools. They take online and phone purchases.

Superior Threads carries cotton thread in a 40 wt. cotton thread, but it comes in a 2,000 yd. cone for $24.95.
      https://www.superiorthreads.com/thre...list_limit=all

I only know of these thread resources because I've really been researching them for myself the past few weeks.

TN Girl, I haven't used much rayon thread, but from what I've read, the rayon does tend to be shinier than polyester. Would polyester meet your needs?
      I have used 30 wt. cotton for redwork, including the variegated colors, and they work well for that.

Everything I read about cotton does say it has more lint, and recommends to clean things out more frequently. Some brands advertise to be less linty, but I don't often trust advertising.

Perhaps some of the longer-term members, and more experienced embroiderers, will be able to help your more.

Dear forum leaders, I hope I have not breeched any posting protocols by posting all this information and links here.
      I post so rarely, and haven't been around for a while, so I never learned all and don't remember or know where to look them up.
      Please forgive any faux pas I may have committed - I'm just trying to help a forum member with what I've learned.

Good luck, TN Girl! It would be good to hear from you what you learn and decide.

Bless you all at DBS!
      Last edited by ebanders; May 15th, 2018 at 12:34 AM.

Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Thank you, Thank YOU, THANK YOU!!! I am new to machine embroidery, so, of course, when I got my machine, we went on line and bought just about every color of rayon thread they had!! I am learning about different stabilizers and thread counts, etc. The information you provided will be immensely helpful, not only to me but, I'm sure, to others as well. Thanks again. TN girl

Active Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

So glad I could be helpful. All the time I spent researching, I thought to myself often, "What am I spending all this time doing all this for..." as I grew more frustrated, not being able to just meet my own need quickly and get it over with. NOW I know - it was to be helpful to somebody else! YEA! And I almost sounded like I knew something - fooled you all! Oh, joyous day - snowstorms finally over, dandelions blooming, and SUNSHINE!

TN Girl, you mention having purchased a lot of rayon thread. New, going gung-ho, getting it all... I remember! But just a bit of info to share with you, in case you have not yet learned this. Rayon thread may (depending on your use) tend to fade more, and cannot be bleached. It is not colorfast with bleach. If you're going to be making items that will be washed often, and especially if they will need to be BLEACHED, do not use rayon. Use polyester thread for such items. That might include children's clothing, table linens, the clothes grandma wears when she visits the grandkids, mom's clothes because she ends up wearing everybody's spills... get the picture ? I don't say this to scare you after your investment in rayon. Just choose wisely which thread you use for which purpose. And have a ball! I'll have a great day knowing my labors made a difference for somebody else.

Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Again, you have provided some very useful information. I have used the rayon thread, with metallic thread accents, to embroider dragonflies on a scarf for my daughter. The things I want to decorate probably won't be bleached, but that's good to know! I certainly will be adding to my supply of threads to be used on dish towels, mug rugs, etc. Thank you so much again. TN girl

NEW Wishlist Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Tired

TN Girl,
      I was originally told I could use any thread as long as I cleaned my machine more often with "linty" thread. Make sure you are cleaning everywhere though as it builds up in the tinyest of places. After using regular sewing thread or a project, my machine was so dirty a trip to the repair man was necessary. There are brands of embroidery thread that do not have shine. The one that I have used is Isacord polyester.
      I agree with ebanders, use rayon only on items that do not get washed often or as bobbin thread on items such as baby clothing. Rayon is softer on the skin than polyester.
      I hope we get to see photos of your projects!

Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Thank you for your post, too. I'm taking notes about the different threads and will try different ones. I have no retail source available here, so I will be going online. Thanks, TN Girl

Who you callin' Chicken?
      is a registered ol' hen!

I am:
      Friendly

My favorite source for all thread is ThreadArt.

www.threadart.com/
      Never give up, never surrender.

Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

That's where I bought my assortment of colors of rayon thread! But now I'm going to do some shopping for other types of threads. Thanks for responding to my query. I appreciate all the help. TN Girl

Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

That's where I bought my assortment of rayon thread. See above post. It was supposed to be attached to your post. Thanks for responding. TN Girl

Who you callin' Chicken?
      is a registered ol' hen!

I am:
      Friendly

I nearly exclusively use polyester thread as most of my embroidery is on "washables." The shine is nearly identical to the poly. I have used ThreadArt cotton quilting thread for in-the-hoop and various general sewing/craft projects and believe it produces less lint than some other brands of cotton thread. Stitch on...
      Never give up, never surrender.

Thread Information