• Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Guidelines for Using the Daily PES Informal Wishlist.

Beloved Wish List Queen
      is Gone but not forgotten!

I am:
      Happy

Default Guidelines for Using the Free Daily PES Informal Wishlist.

Many people have posted questions about the the Wishlist. So, here's a set of guidelines or rules or FAQ for people interested in learning more about how to use the Wishlist (and get their wish granted -- and granted sooner).

1 - What? The wishlist is informal. This means it's not associated in any way with the website owner. It's just a group of friendly website visitors who realized they could help others and help themselves by voting as a group. The wishlist is located at this URL:
      http://www.designsbysick.com/forums/...ries-t540.html

2 - Who? One wish per visitor at a time, please. You do not have to have a paid membership to request a wish. However, it's helpful to have a Forum username, and that's free. (I'm not sure if a person would be able to post anything on the Forum without a username.) A wisher (or Forum visitor) may request a change to her/his wish. Depending upon the wish's current position on the list, the request may be implemented.

3a - How? Please post a request for a wish in cut-and-paste format. Quiltersblock has written detailed instructions in a post titled "How to Make a Wish in cut and paste format". The link is currently here:
      http://www.designsbysick.com/forums/...orm-t2123.html

3b - If you can not post a request in cut-and-paste format, then please include a) the collection name such as "Jacobean Ducks"; b) the exact design, such as "jacobeanducks03"; and your Forum name, such as "req'd by Screenbags". Again, this is a volunteer list. So, if a request for a wish is not in cut-and-paste format, it may take a little longer for the request to be added to the Wishlist.

3c - Please pick one specific design; not one set of designs. Then, we can all vote for just one design instead of spreading our wishes around one set of designs. You know, if 20 people vote for design A in set 1, and 20 other people vote for design B in set 1, and 20 more people vote for design C in set 1, there might be 60 votes for set 1 AND no winner from any of the designs in set 1.

I understand a lot of people were raised that it wasn't polite to ask for something for themselves. And many people don't want to appear selfish by asking for a specific design, but please feel free to be selfish for a change. After all, most of us are going to embroider these designs for someone else anyway! The Wishlist team members can get the ball rolling, but it's up to each member to decide on her/his wish.

4 - Where? Please post a request for a wish in the thread titled "Wishlist Requests". The URL for "Wishlist Requests" is currently located here:
      http://www.designsbysick.com/forums/...sts-t6992.html
      If you want to post it elsewhere in the Forum, I may stumble across it eventually and add it to the Wishlist, but I'm a volunteer. I don't read each post or thread on the Forum each day. If I eventually discover a request for a wish somewhere else on the Forum, I will add it to the Wishlist. It just takes longer. (Please note the website owner frequently changes, updates, and improves this website. If the URL listed about does not work or the link is broken, please send a Private Message to me -- it will get my attention more quickly -- and I'll try to update the link.)

5 - When? Wishes may take weeks or months to be granted. Please be patient. These are free designs. If a design is needed by a certain date, then the wishlist may not be appropriate. The website owner offers many free designs every day, but all designs are available for sale at any time.

6a - A placeholder is not a wish. A placeholder holds a place (for a wisher) on the wishlist. Sometimes a visitor/wisher can't decide exactly which design to wish for but wants to join the informal team. Later, the visitor/wisher can request a design by following the step 3. Then, the wish replaces the placeholder.

6b - A placeholder should be changed to a wish (at the request of the visitor) BEFORE it reaches the top of the list. If a visitor is voting with the list frequently (hopefully daily), then she/he can post her/his request by following step 3. If not, then the placeholder moves to the bottom of the list again.

7 - When a wish is granted (by daily votes), then the wisher's name is moved to the bottom of the list with a placeholder. All the other wishers and their wishes/placeholders move up the list. This is a manual process by volunteers, so moving the wisher's name to the bottom of the list may not happen until several hours after the winning Daily Free PES design is announced (and sometimes a day or two).

8 - If a design wins the Free Daily PES and it is not on the list, then the list does not change. In other words, the list is exactly the same the next day. Remember, this is an informal wishlist. Website visitors and Wishlist team members may vote any way they want.

9 - Points are awarded for voting each day. Since there is a maximum of 3 votes per person per day, there is a maximum of 3 points for voting each day. For more information about Points, please click here:
      http://www.designsbysick.com/points

These guidelines are based on questions, requests, and Private Messages from various Forum members. Hope they're helpful.

Susan (aka Screenbags)
      Last edited by ScreenBags; June 15th, 2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: no paid membership required

Chatty Forum Friend
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Susan, you have worked so hard on this for such a long time. You deserve so much credit. Thank you.

I'd like to add - people who don't need the designs, such as those that have a membership, can still vote. It is one way to just plain help someone out.

Also, if you have a design that is not from a set on the front page, you really don't have much of a chance of getting it to win a daily free without putting it on the list.

Beloved Wish List Queen

I am:
      Happy

grannyof9 wrote:
      "Susan, you have worked so hard on this for such a long time. You deserve so much credit. Thank you.

I'd like to add - people who don't need the designs, such as those that have a membership, can still vote. It is one way to just plain help someone out.

Also, if you have a design that is not from a set on the front page, you really don't have much of a chance of getting it to win a daily free without putting it on the list.

Ann,
      Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm just trying to help a few (obviously frustrated) folks.

And thank you for being a veteran member of the wishlist team. Just think how many people have rec'd their wish because of your votes.

All the best,
      Susan (aka Screenbags)

Chatty Forum Friend
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Susan, you're welcome. My income is very limited, so I really appreciated those daily freebies. I am grateful to the many who voted in my designs when I was on the wishlist. Then, I was graciously given a one year membership, but continued to vote because others had helped me, and I returned the favor. I am still voting just to keep the favor going. Lots of kudos go to those that can afford the memberships right from the beginning, but vote anyway just to be nice.

Again, Susan -- we can't thank you enough for the many hours of VOLUNTEER labor that you have put into the wishlist.
      Last edited by grannyof9; February 10th, 2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: grammar errors really bug me - I shouldn't have reread it!

crab
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

i am totally confused. i do not know where to post my request. i read abt posting at "Wishlist of..." but i cant seem to find this title to add my request post to.... hope someone can help. thanks

Wishlist Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Friendly

The thread has been renamed " Informal Wishlist - Vote for top 3 entries". That's where it will be easiest for those updating the list to find it, but so long as its in the " The Free Daily PES Informal Wishlist" subforum someone will notice it and post to the wishlist thread.
      HTH

Sue

Yes, my embroidery machine *IS* practically one of my kids!
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

wow this is so much information. I requested the embossed alphabet and i didn't realize how this system worked and then I started to see the designs begin to appear.... i bought a set through my points which i love and think the gift from DBSis so great. I was even more pleased to see the other embossed designs start to win. But I did not know how it was happening. Thank you so much!! I think I am still confused....but I am very very happy

Wish-formatting Queen
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Question boltonia51 - how can we help?

Quote Originally Posted by boltonia51 View Post
      wow this is so much information. I requested the embossed alphabet and i didn't realize how this system worked and then I started to see the designs begin to appear.... i bought a set through my points which i love and think the gift from DBSis so great. I was even more pleased to see the other embossed designs start to win. But I did not know how it was happening. Thank you so much!! I think I am still confused....but I am very very happy
      How can we un-confuse you? If you have a question or questions, ask.

Hugs and Smiles, quiltersblock
      Album updated: April 10, 2009. http://www.designsbysick.com/forums/album.php?u=3842
      Smile; it increases your face value and it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

mooresherry
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Thank you, Susan. I just wish I hadn't gone to the bottom of the list. LOL... I need 4 more of the tote bag blocks in order to make it, and I was hoping to get one soon. I'll be patient.

Sherry

sewcial
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Default Wish List explanation

I have just been skimming messages in this forum and am beginning to understand how the wish list works -- sort of. The post I read said there are about 50 wishes going at present. I was wondering, roughly, how long it takes for a wish to come to the top page and be seen as a close runner up. I would like to try putting something on the wish list, but I might not have computer access for 2 months. Would I be wiser to wait until we return or is it likely to take that long for a wish put up now to come to the daily design runners up page?

Also, is there a list of other wishes, other than the ones that show up on the daily design page to see what designs may be coming up in the near future?

Beloved Wish List Queen

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by sewcial View Post
      I have just been skimming messages in this forum and am beginning to understand how the wish list works -- sort of. The post I read said there are about 50 wishes going at present. I was wondering, roughly, how long it takes for a wish to come to the top page and be seen as a close runner up. I would like to try putting something on the wish list, but I might not have computer access for 2 months. Would I be wiser to wait until we return or is it likely to take that long for a wish put up now to come to the daily design runners up page?

Also, is there a list of other wishes, other than the ones that show up on the daily design page to see what designs may be coming up in the near future?
      2 part answer --
      1 - I put a placeholder on the list for you.
      2 - I'm not aware of a 'list of other wishes'. Perhaps you could contact the Moderator, CutiePie. She knows EVERYTHING!

Susan (aka Screenbags)

sewcial
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenBags View Post
      2 part answer --
      1 - I put a placeholder on the list for you.
      2 - I'm not aware of a 'list of other wishes'. Perhaps you could contact the Moderator, CutiePie. She knows EVERYTHING!

Susan (aka Screenbags)
      Thanks, Susan. Where does one see placeholders or the list of wishes others have put in? That was what I meant by the "other" wishes. I just would like to see what people are looking for. I might take a laptop on the trip, but the problem will be having time or a place to hook it up or access wireless.

I just read your private message, but will read it again when I get a few spare moments. I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the wish list. From reading the explanation in the sticky, it sounds like a good system and I will try to vote for the top designs from now on.

Beloved Wish List Queen

I am:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by sewcial View Post
      Thanks, Susan. Where does one see placeholders or the list of wishes others have put in? That was what I meant by the "other" wishes. I just would like to see what people are looking for. I might take a laptop on the trip, but the problem will be having time or a place to hook it up or access wireless.

I just read your private message, but will read it again when I get a few spare moments. I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the wish list. From reading the explanation in the sticky, it sounds like a good system and I will try to vote for the top designs from now on.
      Hi again,
      The Informal Wishlist is located at this URL:
      http://www.designsbysick.com/forums/...ries-t540.html Thanks for supporting the wishlist with your daily votes.

Remember, you get 3 votes each day, and if you're collecting DBS Points, you get 1 point for each vote. The official explanation of DBS Points is currently at this URL:
      http://www.designsbysick.com/points

Wishes are basically in chronological order. Sort of a "1st come, 1st served" approach. This means your placeholder is currently at the end of the list.

Hope that helps. If not, please let me know.

Susan (aka Screenbags)

Moderator and Mama -- but don't make me change diapers here too!
      is up way past my bedtime, just
      for you guys! Love ya'!

I am:
      Happy

As far as I know, this is the ONLY place where there is a wish list for voting. It is not allowed to request votes on the Yahoo group, and I have not seen anything like a wish list on the chat (not that I have much time to visit there).
      -Forum Moderator-
      Cutie Pie, Font of Useless Knowledge

Lifeblood of the Forums
      is acting cheerleader for our
      votes.

I am:
      Friendly

I am very confused by the forum and not sure where it is appropriate to post anything except I did get help and successfully managed to get on the wish list. My current question concerns the wish list. I have been voting for the top 3 wishes, and I sort of understand the facebook dilemma, but I thought you had a wonderful solution by emailing the facebook winners to those who don't get them from facebook, like myself. However, either everyone didn't sign up for the email, or they are not checking facebook or they have forgotten about the wish list or something, because the top 3 wishes have been facebook winners since you began the emails and yet they are still on the list. That means we need to continue to vote for them even though they have been available to any one who is paying attention. Is there any way to inform people about the email and get them onboard? ...so that we can move them on off the list and vote on something new? ...and they can submit a new wish if they like? I understand that you are very busy, and I don't want to create more work for you. I greatly appreciate everything you have done to make everyone happy. You made me happy with the emails, but I think we are letting you down by not keeping up with the changes. Thanks again. And if this is an inappropriate place for this post, please tell me where it should be.

Forum Friend
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Are there any new posts - with a fairly new date??

The mirror lies; actually, I'm young and GORGEOUS!
      is still away with the fairies

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by nansowl View Post
      Are there any new posts - with a fairly new date??
      Here is the thread for making a wish, and the link to the actual wish list is in the first post.
      http://www.embroideryforum.com/forum...-Requests-HERE!

Forum Member
      Just not sure

I am:
      Just SiCK

Red face Voting

I also want to thank you for all the work you have done. Grannyof9, I understand your situation too. I'm on an extremely limited income, and can no longer work so the free designs, help me a great deal. Oh...LOL I am also a Nana of 9

Quote Originally Posted by grannyof9 View Post
      Susan, you're welcome. My income is very limited, so I really appreciated those daily freebies. I am grateful to the many who voted in my designs when I was on the wishlist. Then, I was graciously given a one year membership, but continued to vote because others had helped me, and I returned the favor. I am still voting just to keep the favor going. Lots of kudos go to those that can afford the memberships right from the beginning, but vote anyway just to be nice.

Again, Susan -- we can't thank you enough for the many hours of VOLUNTEER labor that you have put into the wishlist.

Thread Information